My Time Abroad: The Essentials for Road Trippin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Given the vast size of states in America, even a short visit to a nearby place often involves long hours in the car or a trip to the airport.  However, in a country approximately the size of New England, travel is a very painless and pleasurable experience.  You could take a small plane or a rental car, but Spain excels at the other forms of wheeled transport: buses and trains.  Buses run regularly and are very reasonably priced, and most trains between major cities come with the advantage of having an express option.

On my program, we take a large charter bus for all of our trips. Since there are only 17 of us, we each get ample space for sleeping and stretching out.  And since our trips usually take around 6 hours (we are in the very middle of Spain, and our destinations are usually coastal), this means one thing: ROAD TRIP!

Naturally, you must properly equip yourself for these travels with loads of snacks. The afternoon before our departure, we head to the local grocery store to stock up.  Our standard choices come from the following list: (And although some of these things are Spanish specialties, most have American equivalents.)

1. Candy! – You might be thinking this is an obvious one, but hear me out. We try candies that we’ve never had before; regional delights that tickle our sweet teeth.  Often, we supplement the grocery store supply with fun varieties we find at rest stops.
USA Tip– If you’re ever driving through Tennessee, try the Goo-Goo Cluster.  They only exist in TN and they are The Best.  And as a candy aficionado, I don’t say that lightly.

2a. Giant corn kernels – A popular Spanish snack, these giant kernels are crunchy and salty and taste remarkably like Fritos.  A warning in advance, they are addictive, but at 1€/bag, they are a very affordable addiction.

2b. Chips – If corn isn’t up your alley, the chips come in fun flavors- try new kinds and you will be surprised! For example, the flavor “Del Campo” tastes a lot like Barbeque Lays.

3. Nocilla – The Spanish version of Nutella. Buying a jar will win you popularity with your travel mates.  This is no guarantee, but in my experience it’s true.  The other jar that’s good to bring is peanut butter.  Pretzels are great for dipping into it, or you can buy bread and make wonderful Nocilla-PB sandwiches.

4. Wine Boxes – Exactly like juice boxes, but with wine! (Having a drinking age of 18 makes it much easier to obtain this item, of course.) The boxes are very cheap.  Thus as expected, the wine is pretty rough to drink straight.  However, the wine is a key component for our favorite hotel sangria.

Sangria: Pack the wine boxes (red or white; red is prettier), and then in a little free time, pick up a lemon soda (or orange soda, but lemon is better; choose the size depending on your group number), an orange, and an apple. Cut the apple into tiny pieces and cut the orange into squeezable wedges.  Squeeze the orange juice into a large empty water bottle, then pop in the apple.  Add some of the soda, then some of the wine.  This recipe is to taste, so try the mixture.  Add soda and wine as you like.  Let the drink sit for a bit so that the apple soaks, and then enjoy!

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.