How To Get Over Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

One of the most difficult things about writing every week is coming up with fresh new ideas for people to enjoy.  It is also equally difficult to flesh out a somewhat good idea over several paragraphs (or in the case of most articles, at least seven blurbs).  Over the years, I have mastered a few ways of overcoming this difficulty.  Perhaps this can help you with a thesis, a short story or a paper for class.  Let us know if any of these tips help you!

Relate Your Topic to Every Day Things

This works best for creative writing.  Looking at the world from another perspective helps to keep thoughts flowing.  When you are sitting in the dining hall, think of how this meal would look differently if you are a vegetarian or if you haven’t eaten in a long time.  If your paper is a natural science paper, think of it from a molecular or chemical perspective, what are you actually eating?  This helps to foster ideas that wouldn’t have come to you  if you just sat in front of a computer screen.

Talk to Someone

This person doesn’t have to be knowledgeable about the topic.  In fact, some of the best people to ask are people who know nothing at all.  Depending on the audience of your writing, this could be the person you want to convinve of an argument.  Ask someone their opinion on an issue and write to address that.

Read Similar Works

If I need inspiration for a Her Campus article, I often read other Her Campus articles!  I try to think how this relates to Amherst or my life and then write something that is unique.  Be careful not to take an idea instead of modeling yours after it.

Take A Break

The worst feeling is when you are trying your hardest but are yielding no results.  If you take a break, clear your mind and then return to your work, it can benefit you more.  You can find a new direction for your writing or even figure out how to continue where you left off.

Write In A Different Location

Take advantage of the write-ins on campus.  Visit the museum or go to a completely different area.  Some times your surroundings can help get you into the mindset to work.

I hope these tips could help you.  If all else fails, maybe just write something about Writer’s Block 

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.