Feminism (AKA How Many Times Can I Say Feminist in One Article?)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.
I have been labeled many things in the past. For the most part, I’ve worn
them with pride. I am a self-proclaimed geek who loves music, webcomics, and good
television. I am also a feminist. I enjoy talking about feminist issues and like hearing
others’ opinions and beliefs. It’s great to take these ideas and consider them along
with your belief systems.

I like to believe that it’s a welcoming environment of interest to most people,
if not all people. So, why aren’t there more people who call themselves feminist?
Why is it weird for a man to be a feminist? My definition of feminism is the idea of
gender equality within society, politics, and more. The idea of not wanting equality
is mind-boggling to me.

There is this odd belief that a feminist is an angry bra burning non-shaving
man-hating crazy woman. This caricature is not only inaccurate, but also offensive.
Feminism should not be associated with hair removal, clothing choices, and
misandry. It excludes the possibility of a feminist being anything but a tomboy
growing up. And what about men? If femininity is not feminist, is actually being male
feminist? Apparently not, considering the idea that men ALSO cannot be feminists.
Yes, they cannot truly understand the female perspective, but that does not mean
they cannot want equality. Viewing feminism as a fight for control over the other sex
is incorrect and altogether ridiculous.

Feminists are pigeonholed to be one way and if we aren’t like that, we are
perceived as less of a feminist by both feminists and non-feminists. Women who
wear dresses and makeup are viewed as more feminine and are expected to adhere
more to the “submissive” gender role and not be one of those “angry feminists.” It
creates a culture of almost exclusion for those that do not follow the typicalities.
However, I don’t think women who exclude others are true feminists fighting for
equality. They’re just fighting.

I do not wish to exclude anybody, and I wish more people identified as
feminists. Frankly, I know so many people with similar views to mine who do not
identify as feminists, due to the fact that it seems like a bad word or because they do
not think they CAN be called a feminist.

I don’t really believe there is a way that you cannot be feminist unless you
actually hate women and do not think that gender equality is a good idea. Feminism
is all about working together for a common goal of equality for all. How we present
ourselves or how we are born should not affect how we view this goal.

I don’t know about you, but I can be plenty angry in a dress.