Derby Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

The first Saturday in May has, at long last, arrived—the sun’s shining, the landscape’s looking a little greener, and summer is just around the corner.  Time to break out the craziest hat you can find and check out a mint julep recipe—it’s Derby day!  The fastest two minutes in sports isn’t all about betting and singing “My Old Kentucky Home” before the race begins; The Kentucky Derby is as much a showcase for fashion as it is for the fastest three-year-old Thoroughbreds in the United States. 

Since 2011, Vineyard Vines has partnered with Churchill Downs (the Louisville, KY racecourse where the “run for the roses” is held) as the official outfitter of the event.  In the weeks leading up to the race, Vineyard Vines releases a limited-edition line of Derby-themed clothing and accessories for men and women.  This year, the company offered a fairly extensive selection of dresses for women, including the “Derby Sash Halter Dress” and the “Horseshoe Gingham Carolyn Dress,” both shown below. These two styles feature equestrian-style details perfect for the occasion—the whether it be a sash inspired by a jockey’s colorful silks or horseshoe embroidery, both dresses are fun choices for Derby-goers.  Vineyard Vines is also offering Kentucky Derby-inspired scarves, bags, belts, and headbands.  Check out a sampling below!

Derby-goers have a few options when deciding what to wear for the big day.  Those with tickets to watch the race from the infield can opt for something more casual—a sundress with sandals, or as has become more popular recently, shorts!  Of course there are those who wear one of the traditional and infamous Derby day hats—the ones you see in the infield will be quirkier than the styles you’ll see in the seated sections.  Spectators with box seats (the rich, the famous, and those with connections) in the “Millionaire’s Row” area wear more elaborate garb.  Elegant dresses, formal pantsuits, heels, and sandals are worn—and hats, of course!  Pearls and bangles are popular accessories.  See some examples below!  The Kentucky Derby is an event for fashion enthusiasts as much as sports fanatics.