Culinary Creations at Val

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Tired of the same old turkey sandwich you make for dinner when the Val menu isn’t speaking to you? Don’t feel like spending another ten bucks on fresh side? Here are five easy tips and recipes to try from your local classmates at Amherst next time you’re in the mood to spice things up! Save your money and still eat delicious food! Enjoy!

1.     Katie’s Buff Chick Quesadilla

Get a tortilla and cut up some of the lighter side grilled chicken and place it on the tortilla with some mozzarella cheese from the salad bar, along with spinach and onions.  Add Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and press in the panini machine until crisp, juicy and melted! Dip in blue cheese dressing for taste.

2.     Julia’s Red Wine Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

In a bowl, pour enough olive oil to cover the bottom and pour about the same amount of  red wine vinegar.  Then add a little pepper and the grey poupon-like mustard we have over by all the sauces. Wisk with a fork and you have a yummy, healthy and traditional Italian salad dressing-you could even add a little pesto in there to be extra fancy.  Eating salads just got a lot easier and tastier! If you’re in the mood for a sweeter dressing, like balsamic vinaigrette, pour enough olive oil to cover the bottom and pour about the same amount of balsamic vinegar.  Add a little pepper and honey mustard this time.  Wisk with a fork and now you have two new and healthy salad dressings to enjoy with your lunch or dinner salads.

3.     Taylor’s Pita Pizza

Take pita bread, add tomato sauce from the pasta line and then mozzarella cheese. Add spinach and onions on top and then microwave. Your own personal delicioso pizza.

4.     Taylor’s Deviled Eggs

Take some hard boiled eggs from the salad bar and in a bowl mix equal parts of a little mayo, mustard, relish and the hard boiled yolks.  Once you’ve mixed it all together put it on top of the egg whites.  Add a little salt and pepper for taste!

5.     Gabby’s Pasta Fresco

In a bowl add spinach, shredded mozzarella cheese and mushrooms from the salad bar.  Microwave for about thirty seconds or until the cheese is completely melted with the spinach.  Then pour on top of your naked pasta noodles.  Cut up a little lighter side chicken and a little pesto sauce to make it even more special!

Have any other great Val creations? E-mail jweatherly14@amherst.edu for another chance to have your meals or culinary tips featured! 

Senior Psychology and Anthropology major at Amherst!