A Collegiette’s™ Guide to Online Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Tired of riding the PVTA to get in on a little retail therapy?
Yeah, me too. With online shopping becoming more and more popular, we’ve moved on from the age of expensive shipping and questionable quality, and now there are some amazing stores available exclusively online. I’ve been on a bit of an online shopping kick lately, and I’ve discovered a few stores the fashionable collegiette™ shouldn’t miss:

Asos
Originally an exclusively British company, Asos now offers free shipping to the US. Along with an in-house brand and some more inexpensive options, they also offer clothing and accessories from many designers including Chloe, Moscino, and Wildfox. They also sell some Europe-exclusive beauty brands that can be hard to get in the states like Models Own, Bourjois, and Barry M.
(Click here check it out)

Hautelook

For designer deals, you need look no further than hautelook. It requires an online membership by invite, though it is completely free. Hautelook offers up to 75% off daily designer deals that open at 8:00 AM Pacific Time in women’s and men’s fashion, home décor, beauty, and accessories. Some upcoming designer events to look forward to: L.A.M.B., Chloe sunglasses, and a Swiss watch blowout.
(HC Amherst has got you covered with a free invite here)

Etsy
Though this handmade and vintage online boutique can be a little hit-or-miss, Etsy can be a great option for trendy jewelry you don’t want to spend too much on. Browse by category or seller to find imitations of popular monogram necklaces, knuckle rings, or bangles worn by celebrities. Etsy is also great for unique pieces that you wouldn’t be able to find at a standard store.
(Check it out)

Jewelmint
A jewelry subscription service that spawned a thousand other monthly services from everything to shoes, purses, and t-shirts. Jewelmint remains my favorite.  It has monthly selections of jewelry designed by Kate Bosworth and celebrity stylist Cher Coulter. Create a design style profile and get customized selections each month. At $29.99 a month it isn’t exactly cheap, but it’s easy to “skip a month” if you don’t like any of your selections within the first five days of each month.

Shopbop
To keep up with trends and new seasons, why not try shopbop? They have a lot of awesome designers and frequent sales that extend to brands such as Free People, Hunter, Marc by Marc Jacobs, and J Brand. 

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.