Campus Profile Jia Liang ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Jia Liang ’17 is one of the kindest people I know.  She has a great sense of humor, gives the best hugs and has a beautiful singing voice.  Plus, she is a stellar first year RC.  Get to know Jia, this week’s Campus Profile!

Tell me about where are you from: 

I grew up outside of Boston, in Malden (it’s ok, most people haven’t heard of it). 

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?:

There’s no escape from snow and bitter cold in the wintertime.

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?: 

I liked that Amherst was a small school, which suits me well socially, and I loved the campus when I visited in April. It’s also a decent distance away from Boston—close enough to visit if I wanted, but far enough that my parents aren’t basically living with me. Oh, and the squirrels here were cute, that was important.

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?: 
I like solving problems and learning how biological systems work; my academic interests mostly lean towards STEM fields. In my free time, I knit, paint, sing and watch cat videos for fun.

What are you passionate about the most?: 

Cats. They’re definitely at the top of the list. Haven’t yet decided what comes after that.

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond:  
Hoping to enjoy my time at Amherst and leave some sort of positive impact on the people I’ve met here. In the future, I hope to find a job that I love (I have no idea what that means right now), get my life together, adopt a cat. If my career doesn’t work out, I’ve got plans to make it as a trophy wife (hmu ;) ). 

If you could make one change to the world, playful or serious, what would it be?:

We should tell people that we value and appreciate them more often. Also everyone should have a cat and bask in feline glory.
What’s something you’ve always wanted to say but never got the chance to say it?:

I’ve got my life all figured out

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.