This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

For years now, women around the world have been trying to answer this question: are leggings really pants? Whenever this question comes up, I always picture Blair Waldorf screaming “tights are not pants!” at one of her blonde-haired minions. Even my own mother tries to get me to wear jeans more often. Yet the more I look at what other people are wearing, the more I believe that although leggings might not technically be considered pants, they certainly are replacing them. Standard black leggings have taken the place of jeans for almost every occasion, whether it’s Sunday brunch, an evening workout or a quick trip to the grocery store. And why shouldn’t they? They’re comfortable, they match everything, and they almost always flatter your figure. If leggings are the new pants, maybe it’s time to start investing in a few different types. Below are a few of my favorite pairs of leggings with a spin on the plain, normal black version:

1. Mango Biker Leggings, $49.99 

These Mango leggings are perfect for those of you who are tired of simple black leggings. The ribbed patches above the knee and gunmental zippers add the perfect details to create an edgy look. These biker leggings are a must have!

2. Forever 21 Zippered Leggings, $14.80 

The leggings from Forever 21 can easily be dressed up or down. Whether it be with some casual sneakers, or stillettos these leggings are sure to flatter your figure! The zippers add a simple detail and the elastic waistband will help hide whatever you just ate for lunch.

3. Nasty Gal Rider Moto Legging, $68

The leather motorcyle patches on these leggings from Nasty Gal are the perfect piece to add to your collection! The added leather gives your outfit that extra something. Follow Nasty Gal’s suggestion and wear them with oversized sweaters, tunics or tees. 

4. Lululemon High Times Pant, $98 

Just because these leggings are from Lululemon, it doesn’t mean that they’re only for the gym. Pair them with a simple top for the gym or wear them with a cute top and heels for a girls night out. You’ll be sure to make quite a few heads turn!

These four pieces are just a few different takes on the classic black legging. Whether you’re wearing them to the gym, or just running to class, these pieces will definitely spice up any outfit! The next time someone accuses you of not wearing pants, refer them to this article. Happy shopping! 

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5