Women’s Rap is NOT Dead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

If you happen to be a fan of hip-hop and find yourself scared for the state of women’s rap, do not feel like you are alone!

During the past few years up until recently, we have all had reason for concern. Of course, Nicki Minaj has blown up into a “rap superstar” but many of her female audience members who enjoyed her during her mixtape days can’t seem to find the same reasons to like her music today. Many feel as though she has taken the pop star route and forgotten about the Queens rapper she used to be.

However, there is no reason to worry for those of us who fear women’s rap is dead. Besides a few MC’s who have stayed in the game, like Missy Elliott, Recently, a surge of new female resurrectors have made their way on the music scene and are ready to make waves.

One of them is Azealia Banks, a Harlem native who can barely be described as just a rapper. She finished schooling at an art school in Manhattan and her versatile theatre background is extremely evident in her rhymes. Azealia Banks has no fear slipping into different characters during all of her songs and letting her personality shine. Many of her songs and videos give tribute to the 90s, which is a style that is certainly been missed. Check out her most famous single “212” or many of her videos that are available on YouTube as well.

Another up-and-coming female rapper that shouldn’t be overlooked is Shystie from London. She and Azealia Banks have teamed up recently in collaborations on Banks’ mixtape “FANTASEA”. Recently, Shystie got news of her idol, Missy Elliott wishing to meet up and possibly make a song together. Seeing a legend like Missy reach out to Shystie gives hope to us yearning for new and exciting music from female rappers. Be sure to check out Azealia Banks and Shystie!

Photo credit: graffitidc.tumblr.com

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.