Women’s History Month: House Representative and AU Alum Loretta Sanchez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Our country’s history is full of people paving the way for future generations to have more opportunities. Historically, women have been working toward equality in many areas including aviation, sciences, arts and entertainment, among others. To celebrate all that women have done, the month of March is known as National Women’s History Month.

Representative Loretta Sanchez is a Democratic member of the House of Representatives serving California’s 46th District, which includes the Orange County cities of Anaheim, Santa Ana, Orange, and Garden Grove. She is currently serving her ninth term in Congress.

Before beginning her congressional career in 1997, Representative Sanchez received her MBA from American University in 1984. She also worked in the financial markets at firms including Booz Allen Hamilton and Fieldman Rollap. 

In Congress, Representative Sanchez is a recognized leader in military and national security issues. She is also a leading voice for women in the military. Among all of her committee memberships, one of her most notable is that she is founder and co-chair of the Women in the Military Caucus. She is also the highest-ranking female on the Armed Services Committee.

To further help women in the military, Representative Sanchez has fought to allow female service members to serve in combat roles. She has also made significant strides in the fight against sexual assault in the military. Rep. Sanchez has helped update sexual assault provisions located in the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which was enacted in 1950. Her changes added additional survivors’ rights. Further, Sanchez also legislated to implement a sexual assault database in the 2009 National Defense Authorization Act.

Representative Sanchez has truly done great work in helping to expand women’s rights and is making her mark on history. 

Photo Credits:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Loretta_Sanchez…

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/wB_8M3ZP_UI/0.jpg