Winston Pingeon ’16: Founding Father of Beta Theta Pi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Her Campus AU: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?Winston Pingeon: My name is Winston Pingeon. I’m a sophomore from Lincoln, Massachusetts, and I’m double majoring in Justice & Law and Sociology.

HCAU: What clubs or activities are you involved with on campus?WP: I am a founding father of AU’s newest fraternity, Beta Theta Pi, which has been a really rewarding experience. Being a founding member, as well as serving on the executive board, is great because I can help shape the organization. I am also in the School of Public Affairs Leadership Program, where I have learned a lot about leadership, as well as gained valuable experience through working on various social action projects. Through this program, I co-founded Stand Up AU, a student organization dedicated to raising awareness and preventing sexual assault on campus. With this same group, I won an award at the 2013 SPA Research Symposium for our research done on sexual assault.

HCAU: As a former intern with the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department, can you give us a little bit of insight into your experiences? (any accomplishments, or challenges you’ve faced, etc.)WP: Working for MPD was a great experience. I learned so much about D.C., urban policing, and the criminal justice system as a whole. The best part was riding along on patrol in the Sixth District, which covers part of Southeast, D.C. In a high crime area, there was plenty of action and excitement. I witnessed investigations of domestic violence, robberies, and other violent criminal acts. By spending many days on patrol, sometimes for a full eight-hour shift, I really learned what a police officer’s daily life consists of.

HCAU: Where do you see yourself in five years?WP: I hope to be employed in some sort of law enforcement career. I would love to be a police officer or state trooper, and eventually would like to go to law school.

HCAU: Do you have any hidden talents?WP: I’m an artist, and have been my whole life. My friends joke about my artsy Instagram photos, but I’m primarily a painter. Watercolor is my favorite medium, and I used to teach art classes for four years at a summer camp in Massachusetts. I had some incredible co-workers and mentors there, and loved working there.

HCAU: What are some hobbies, or things you like to do in your spare time?WP: In addition to painting, I like spending time outdoors. Running, boating, hunting and fishing are all things I thoroughly enjoy. I also have a kayak, and love to travel miles at a time on a river back home. Being out in the wilderness is one of the most fun and relaxing things for me.

HCAU: Tell us a fun fact about yourself!WP: I have a twin brother, and my younger sisters are also twins. My mom is a twin, and her twin sister (my aunt) had twins. Clearly, twins run in the family!

Vivian is the Managing Editor of the Her Campus American chapter. She is currently a senior at American University, pursuing a degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Finance and a minor in Law & Society. Vivian is originally from Long Island, New York. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, drinking iced coffee and taking photos of her food. She is extremely excited to be a part of such an amazing organization on campus!