What’s Wrong with Being a Basic B*tch?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Over the past year or so, there is a term that has become a part of popular culture. The term, “basic b*tch” refers to mainstream products or trends that have become popular to women. The basic b*tch contrasts the “bad b*tch” or the “boss b*tch,” implying that a girl’s lack of edginess brings her down to a level where she is only preoccupied with superficial concepts of her life, or lacks some sort of ownership of herself. However, what’s wrong with liking all of the things that label a girl as being “basic.” It seems as though just because a woman likes something that other women may also like, that makes her uncool or unoriginal? I would like to break down some of issues surrounding hate on so-called “basic behavior.”

There are some indications that contribute to a girl or women being labeled as a basic b*tch. Based on what the Internet trends have shown, a basic b*tch enjoys wearing leggings, the ever-controversial Ugg boots and a fresh manicure. Her iPhone is never less than a few inches from her so she can snap a selfie of her Pumpkin Spice Latte that she has been waiting for all year round. She can probably recite Mean Girls from start to finish, read “The Fault in Our Stars” more times than she can count, and just sent a Tweet about the Taylor Swift concert she went to last night, along with a filtered photo of her and her best friends. Now, I would like to raise the question: What is wrong with liking some or all of those things that I just listed? Is it really okay for society to tell us that we are stupid or superficial just because we feel excited about something?

People love to give women a hard time about wearing things like yoga pants and leggings, in places other than the gym. I don’t know if anyone has noticed but not only are leggings extremely comfortable, they are also very flattering and versatile. So comfortable, that there shouldn’t be a surprise that women often buy them in bulk and love incorporating them into their wardrobe whenever they can. At the same time, nobody seems to have any issue when a guy rocks the same jeans and t-shirt look every day.

The issue that I have come to face is why people give women such a hard time for doing or wearing something that they like? Why are they considered a basic b*tch just because they like something that is trendy or popular? There is an underlying problem with seeing the world in this way. A common aspect of articles and Internet sources calling women out as “being basic,” is mainly rooted on a hate for youth female culture. While there is usually humor involved, the anger is often directed towards some women who are just trying to fit in. There is a clear overlap between what is known as “basic behavior” and the trends and fads of young adolescents. Here, young women are being sent a very mixed message. They are encouraged to be apart of their youth culture, however they should also completely disregard it.

People have been using the word “b*tch” to shame women forever, but in recent years some feminists have tried to reclaim it evoke themes of power and assertiveness. Perhaps them term “basic b*tch” could be reclaimed to show pride and fulfillment, rather than shame and unoriginality.

Photo Credits: 1 2