Valentine’s Recipes: Chicken Basil Pasta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Growing up my mother described me as a “food-motivated person.” At first, I scoffed at this passive aggressive dig at my poor eating habits, but recently I realized how right she is. I have been guilty of attending club meetings for free food, bullying my friends into going to a specific restaurant and preparing elaborate meals from the comfort of my dorm’s kitchen.

In fact, having my own kitchen was one of the central reasons I moved off of campus my sophomore year. With Valentine’s Day approaching, I know that not all of us cash-strapped college kids can afford to treat our significant other (or friends – if you opt for a girl’s night) to a dinner around town.

Instead, I hope to provide you with the know-how to create a delicious (and easy to prepare) dinner. Plus, it feeds four for under $20!

Chicken Basil Pasta

Serves 4

Ingredients

2 Tbsp oil/butter
2 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts (or thighs if that is more your scene)
1 box of Penne or Rotini Pasta
1 medium onion
1 medium red pepper
10 fresh basil leaves (feel free to add more or less!)
1 cup of Parmesan cheese (shredded)
2 cloves garlic
Salt

Directions

1. Start by adding 1 tbsp to a large frying pan
  2. Cut up chicken into 1 inch cubes
  3. Wait for the oil to get hot (but not smoking – you want the chicken to sizzle when it hits the pan)
  4. Add pasta to boiling water
  5. Add the chicken, allow it to fry for 4 minutes, or until most visible pink is gone but not fully cooked.
  6. Medium dice the onion (that is just a fancy word for chop into 1 cm size pieces)
  7. Chop the red pepper so it is the size of a shoe string French fry
  8. Add peppers and onion to the chicken
  9. Add chopped up garlic
  10. Drain pasta when cooked
  11. Add ¼ cup parmesan cheese to the pasta in the colander – stir
  12. Add a ¼ parmesan to chicken stir fry –stir
  13. Add pasta to stir fry
  14. Combine and gradually add remaining parmesan
  15. Let the dish sit on the stove and cook slightly so pasta is hot
  16. Serve and prepare to be amazed!
  17. Salt to taste