Untold Secrets of the Avalon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

You probably have visited the Avalon, or you might even live there. But do you know about all of the hidden treasures that Avalon at Foxhall has to offer? Learn the ins-and-outs of one of the most popular places to live off-campus. 

1) The Magic of Upper Terrance

Everyone who recycles makes the weekly trip to Upper Terrance to throw their boxes and bottles in the dumpsters. However, UT is a treasure trove full of abandoned furniture and home goods all in one place. There are some classy looking couches, massive dressers, and lots and lots of chairs. Usually UT finds are in pretty good condition too, so you can furnish your place in style. Upper Terrance doesn’t get lots of good stuff until the end of the year when people move out though, so stick around a few days after finals if you are really looking for some free furnishings.

2) PT AKA Pool Terrance

Everybody knows that the draw of PT is the pool. But the pool doesn’t open until Memorial Day weekend each year, so what is the point of trekking all the way to the top floor? The answer: the vending machine. PT’s vending machine is perfect when you are pregaming and forgot to buy mixers. Also, the tiny bathroom right next to the vending machine is always stocked with toilet paper, so if your roommate forgot to buy the TP, run up to Pool Terrance in case of emergency.

3) Enter the Av on the DL

Returning home from a long night…the next morning? Don’t feel like meeting the judging eyes of the desk receptionist? You can enter the Avalon through the garage, even by foot, and avoid a situation at the front entrance. Walk through down the stairs across from the front entrance, or walk around to the side garage entrance and either way you will be able to access the garage. You will still eventually need your fob to get in though, so don’t try these tricks if you forgot your keys.

4) The Best Employees

When you need help in the Avalon, the helpful employees are the best place to turn. The best maintenance man ever is Israel, who has come to my apartment many times to unclog our sink and fix various issues. He even offered to hang up wall art for us. The night security guy on the weekends will be super helpful if you are on his good side, but if you aren’t friends, he will be the first to bust your apartment party.

5) Don’t Get Towed

Walking out of the Avalon and realizing your car has been towed definitely ruins your day. If you are visiting the Av, always try to get a parking pass, but if you are somehow unable to, know that the Av usually tows around 2 AM when they think everyone is sleeping. If you become friends with the desk receptionist, they’ll warn when a towing is about to happen. 

Photo Credits: 1 2