This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

For the average college freshman, starting over and moving to school away from everything you’ve ever known is hard. Imagine doing this at a school in which you didn’t even intend on applying! Then add in a fall internship and full course load all before you even move in. Students accepted to the University of Miami in DC program are going through just that process. The program is designed to give spring semester admits a unique experience by taking classes at American University while also building their resume by having an internship in D.C.

Her Campus American University sat down with two students from the program, Haley Schiffer from Long Island, NY and Addie Herwig from Breckenridge, CO to get the low down on how their semester is going so far.

What made you choose the UM in DC program?

Addie: UM in DC seemed to be a very different experience from what I thought I was signing up for and I liked that. I want to see as much and experience as many different places as I can before settling in one place.

Where do you intern and what do you do there?

Addie: I intern at Men’s Health Network about a block off the Hill. I enjoy going to events and meetings on the Hill or Health fairs around the city.

Haley: I intern with Hollywood On The Potomac, which happens to be the most amazing internship ever! I get to go to celebrity events, galas and embassies and either interview people or take photos and write an article.

What are you liking best about American University?

Addie: I like how close AU is to the city. It’s so nice to be able to hop on the metro and go wherever you like in the city. Since I am from the mountains (about 2 hours form Denver or the nearest mall), its nice to be able to have the resources of the city.

What is your favorite thing about being a UM in DC student?

Haley: My favorite thing about being a UM in DC student is that our floor has grown to be really close and I’m sure it’s going to help with the transition into Coral Gables second semester.

Any advice for other college freshman or upcoming freshman who want to seek an internship?

Haley: Make sure you find something you like!! Don’t rush to find an internship or even start looking over the summer!

Addie: Stay in touch with family because they will miss you!

AU also has a program for spring semester admits to take classes while interning in the city, called the Washington Mentorship Program. Other universities like Brandeis University send students to be a part of the program as well. Keep up the hard work collegiates!

http://icons-ak.wunderground.c…