The Top Six Covers of Lorde’s “Royals”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

You can try to deny it, but we all know that “Royals” by Lorde is an addictive guilty-pleasure song that constantly rings in your head throughout the day. The song’s bold lyrics matched with Lorde’s soulful voice produces a memorable melody for listeners everywhere.

In addition to writing her own songs, the 16-year-old New Zealander (whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor) has also topped Billboard Hot 100 and won the Silver Scroll Award for “Royals”. Lorde describes the top charting hit as one that acknowledges the mundanity of life, what she identifies as the waiting game most of us tend to play where we sit back and expect adventure to come to us.

With the release of her debut studio album last month Pure Heroine, Lorde has received the praise and attention of fellow musicians. Quite a few artists have paid tribute to her by covering “Royals”, but the six unique versions featured here are the best. Enjoy! 

6. With his silky voice and funky percussion, Mayer Hawthorne’s rendition is unexpected yet strangely soothing. 

5. Rock fans, this is for you! Mora Mora features the heavy beat of the drum and gritty vocals to create an alternative rock twist that you can’t help but jam out to.

4. Kina Grannis’ angelic tone combined with Fresh Big Mouf’s rad ability to make music from commonplace objects produces an unusual but impressive cover.

3. This a cappella interpretation from Pentatonix has a familiar pop tune quality that makes it hard to believe that such perfect harmony is possible.

2. From ukuleles to simple clapping, Walk Off The Earth composes a clever and creative version of the popular song. 

1. Snagging the top spot is Saints of Valory, who will be performing as one of the special guests at the GROUPLOVE concert here at American University on Friday, November 8th. The band members’ unison chanting and snapping adds an indie flare to the original song that should make AU students even more excited to see them perform their songs live!

Photo credit:

http://www.interviewmagazine.c…