Top 5 Ways to Celebrate Earth Month Right in Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

April, (the best month of the year in my opinion) is finally here! You may be excited about the Cherry Blossom Festivities taking over D.C., but did you know that D.C. is also celebrating Earth Month? This year as an expansion of previous Earth Day events on the National Mall, Union Station is hosting Earth Month. Presented by Earth Day Network and Premier Tourist and Landmark Association, activities will include a green fashion show, a film festival, a farmer’s market, alternative energy demonstrations and plenty of contests, giveaways and live entertainment! April 22nd will have a full day of activities for actual Earth Day, but this year there is no need to wait to start learning about how to live a sustainable life.

However, if you find yourself too busy too busy with papers and finals to get to Union Station to celebrate, Her Campus has collected easy ways for you and your friends to participate. 

1) Open the blinds! Use natural lighting in your dorm instead of the overhead lights.

2) Take shorter showers! Make a playlist on your iPod of your favorite 2-3 songs. Instead of aimlessly wasting water in the shower make it your goal to not go past the length of those songs.

3) Unplug! That curling iron, television and Keurig may be off, but if they are still plugged into your outlet they are wasting energy. Make a note on the inside of your door to unplug everything before you leave for the day.

4) Stop using plastic disposable water bottles! This month invest in an eco-friendly, BPA free, reusable water bottle.

5) Take the stairs and walk to your destination instead of using the shuttle! Swimsuit season is approaching—no further explanation needed.

How are you celebrating Earth Month? Tell us! Mention @HerCampusAU on Twitter or tag Her Campus American on Facebook.