Top 10 Most Essential Tailgate Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, collegiettes! Although it may be time for cider and pumpkin spiced lattes, it’s mainly time for tailgating. No matter what team, sport, or outdoor activity you follow, you know that a morning and/or afternoon spent tailgating with friends and family is the best way to prepare for the big game. And one of the most critical, if not the most crucial element to any proper tailgate is the food! The right food can make or break a tailgate, and preparing for a tailgate is no easy challenge. Here are the top ten most essential tailgate foods (with recipes!):

1. Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit

What is more hearty and welcoming that the warm gastrointestinal embrace of a greasy bacon, egg and cheese biscuit? Nothing. Get some warmth and protein in your body early, and don’t forget the coffee: it’s going to be a long day! Here’s a recipe to make at home and bring with you, but there is no shame in stopping at the drive-thru on the way to the game!

World’s Best Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit Recipe

2. Donuts and/or Donut Holes

Whether they be Krispy Kreme, Dunkin’ Donuts, or Tim Horton’s, donuts should be at the cornerstone of your breakfast on game day. How can you say no to fried dough covered in sugary glaze? Or, bake your own! No one says no to donuts.

Baked Doughnuts Recipe

3. Pizza and Wings

A legacy in a class by itself. This pairing should be ranked with wine and cheese, cake and frosting, and bacon and eggs. A combination that each on its own stands strong, but together creates the most harmonious and complementary food experience you will ever encounter. These two should never be eaten alone again.

4. Chili

For the coldest of game days, nothing warms you up better than a bowl full of steaming hot chili! Eaten with a spoon, dipped with cornbread, or slurped with Frito’s, chili is a strong selection. Try this turkey recipe for a healthier alternative.

Turkey Corn Chili

5. Grill food (hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, swordfish)

Imagine the perfect tailgate. What is the first thing you see, smell, and hear? A grill, fired up and cooking away, with whatever form of protein you desire! No tailgate is complete without the presence of a grill, and there are infinitie possibilities with regards to what you can throw on! Also, grilling is a good way to get your vegetables in for the day.

6. Jambalaya

A bit of a wild card, but this cold-day alternative to chili is packed with awesome flavor, spice, and warmth! Party on!

Jambalaya

7. Chicken Wing Dip

Seemingly messy to eat but super easy to make, chicken wing dip (or Buffalo Chicken Dip) is a crowd favorite with mass appeal – who doesn’t love piping hot cheese and hot sauce? Don’t forget the chips to dip!

Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip

8. Homemade Chex Party Mix

The snack food to end all snack foods. With the perfect combination of nuts, cereal, and crunch, homemade Chex Mix will replace the storebought kind in your heart forever. Multiply the recipe so it lasts longer!

Chex Party Mix

9. Chips/Pretzels and French Onion Dip

An easy, store-bought addition for munching up till kick off. You can honestly never have too many dips present at a tailgate.

10. M&M’s

To satisfy your sweet tooth and keep your throwing arm loose, M&M’s represent the apex of sweet snack foods. Yes, they are technically a candy. But after all of the salt and spice, your tastebuds will want a sweet alternative that still can be considered light finger foods.

Stay warm, full, and excited during your tailgates this fall, collegiettes! What are some of your favorite tailgate foods?

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Erin Vail

American

Erin is a senior Communication Studies major at American University. The loves of her life include sports, TV, and food.