Top 10 Dos and Don’ts of Parents Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

College sometimes feels like camp with homework, so it can be a bit of a culture shock when you bring parents into the mix. Yes, it’s that time of year again—Parents Weekend, or All-American Weekend as we call it here at AU. If your mom and dad are coming to visit, here are the top ten tips to make the most of it…and get a delicious free meal out of it too!

1. Do give your parents a tour of campus, but not the tour they got when you first visited AU. Show them your favorite part of the quad, your go-to coffee shop, your perfect study spot, or any of your other haunts.

2. Don’t count out the official All-American Weekend events. Open up that brochure and give it a glance! There are lots of exciting events going on ranging from arboretum tours to acapella concerts to a fall festival in the amphitheater.

3. Do introduce your parents to your friends. It’s one of the best ways to show your parents what your life outside of classes is like and will probably put them at ease that you’re hanging with a top-notch crowd. 

4. Don’t think you have to share every detail of your college life. Pass that boy from last weekend on the quad? Just tell your folks he’s your lab partner and breathe a sigh of relief. Crisis averted.

5. Do plan a seasonal clothing swap ahead of time. Have your parents bring your cold weather clothes and send your summer clothes back with them. It’s finally starting to feel like fall, and you probably won’t have another chance to switch out your closet until Thanksgiving.

6. Don’t leave your room a mess. This is the number one opportunity to prove to Mom and Dad that you’re a responsible young adult. How are you going to do that when your floor is covered in dirty laundry and pizza boxes?

7. Do venture beyond TDR. Mom may want to check out what that meal plan is getting you, but this is the perfect weekend to try out a more upscale restaurant than you would normally go to with friends. Plus, it’s a great way to celebrate the visit.

8. Don’t ditch your friend who’s parents couldn’t make it to campus. Instead, ask your parents if he or she can join your family for dinner. It’s a really sweet gesture and a great opportunity for your parents to get to know one of your friends better. Plus, maybe your friend will return the favor next time his or her parents are in town!

9. Do get a few good family photo-ops. Abandon all shame and shoot them in super cliché spots, like on the big American University sign or by the “Once An Eagle, Always an Eagle” statue.

10. Don’t forget to enjoy All-American Weekend. It’s not often that you get to spend time with your parents, much less on your turf rather than your hometown. This weekend only comes once a year, so remember to give Mom and Dad a hug and show them how much you appreciate them. 

Photo Credit:

http://www.american.edu/upload…

Julia Reinstein is a junior at American University. She is studying journalism and hopes to one day write for a magazine. When she isn't writing, she keeps busy as a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma and student body Vice President. Her goals include traveling to Iceland, participating in a flashmob, meeting Hillary Clinton, and owning a mahogany spice rack. She passionately believes in the Oxford comma.