This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The National Gallery of Art will be highlighting musicians every Sunday throughout Women’s History Month. 

On March 5, the Gallery hosted harpist Emily Levin. Levin is a principal harpist with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, as well as a bronze medalist at the USA International Harp Competition. 

Prior to performing, Levin educated the audience on the harp’s feminine roots. Throughout history, the harp has been one of the only instruments women could play. 

Levin played six pieces composed by other women. The harpist performance was a celebration of women, for women, by women. 

Levin’s performed pieces by Henriette Renie, Han Lash, Germanie Tailleferre, Angelica Negron, Clara Schumann and Andre Caplet. 

Since photographs and recordings were not allowed during the performance, audience members fully immersed themselves in the magical sound of the harp. 

Levin’s performance was an empowering start to the National Gallery of Art’s Women’s History Month concert series. 

From the piano performances to the guitar, viewers are bound to find a performance they will enjoy this Women’s History Month. 
For more information on the National Gallery of Art’s Women’s History Month performances click here.

Hannah is a journalism student at American University who is currently pursuing a degree in journalism. She serves as the publishing director at HCAU. In her free time, Hannah finds enjoyment in reading, running, and attending Nationals games.