Life > Academics

The Controversy of Technology in College Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

After a year and a half of online classes, as most of the world lived their lives virtually, the transition back to in-person learning brought some surprises–– one of them is some professors not allowing technology in classes including laptops, tablets and Kindles. 

Most advocates of not allowing technology in classes would argue that doing so limits distractions and enhances learning. By not allowing technology, students will not be able to play games, do work for other classes, watch shows or anything else that could distract from the class itself. According to psychologists and neuroscientists, taking notes by hand rather than digitally helps in retaining information, understanding new ideas and being more productive. 

However, not allowing technology poses several issues. On a general level, many students prefer taking notes digitally rather than by hand as, for many, it helps with organization, legibility and the speed at which they are able to take notes. Many people are also used to taking notes digitally, and have their own processes for taking notes. In addition to this, not allowing technology also poses several accessibility issues, and may even veer into ableist territory. 

“If you have a disability, using your laptop outs you to the whole class,” , Erica Swan*, an American University student said. This student is permitted to use their laptop in class despite the professor’s “no technology rule.”

Using technology when it is well-known by the class it isn’t allowed often draws negative attention to the student.  As a result of this, some students who have an accommodation to use technology do not use it, merely because they do not want others to know that they have accommodations. This can impede their learning process because they may not be able to take notes as quickly, have difficulty in spelling and grammar and more. 

Not allowing the use of technology does not only affect students who have learning disabilities, but also those who may have physical limitations. Another student, Christine Matthews*, who has inflamed joints in her hands told HCAU, “I’ve had to go up to teachers and tell them that I can’t take notes on paper because it hurts my hands and I can’t hold normal pencils, and they’ve accused me of lying.” 

For some students, handwriting can be physically painful and damaging to their physical health. For any professor to accuse their students of lying about any limitation is ableist, hurtful and insensitive. 

Not allowing the use of technology can also affect students who have a language barrier. 

Many international students face this issue. Colleen Row*, an American University student from France explained that, “When English isn’t your first language and you don’t know the word and how to spell it, you lose focus and it’s too late to write what you need to write.” Not being able to use technology can impede understanding, while the use of spell check and being able to quickly look up a word can prevent this struggle. 

Not allowing technology takes away students’ freedom of choice as well as understanding and accessibility. While it may be true that handwriting can strengthen memory of a subject and reduce distractions, it can also prevent many individuals from using the tools that they need to be successful.

*Names were changed to provide students with anonymity and privacy.

Sana Mamtaney (she/her) is a third-year student at American University studying journalism and political science. She loves writing about social justice issues and how they affect our daily lives. In her free time, she enjoys cooking, watching reality TV, and listening to Hozier and One Direction.