Spring Into the Semester: Tips for a Fresh Start

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Coming back from winter break signifies a fresh start. The slate from last semester’s all-nighters and late night fast food binges has been wiped clean, and a new, fresh and malleable path is set before you.

So how do you make sure that this semester is better than the last? How do you make sure that this time around, you’re ready for whatever American throws at you?
Below are some simple but beneficial tips to stay healthy, motivated, and in control this semester.

1. Wake up early.
Having an early start to your day (or a bit earlier than usual) gives you the time to do the small tasks that you always plan for but never seem to wake up to do. Some of these include:

2. Stretching in the morning!
Stretching before your day begins can do wonders for both your mind and your body. It makes you feel like you are ready for the day and can take on any task at hand.

3. Take your time getting ready.
There is nothing more powerful (or dangerous) than a girl who takes the time to look good and feel good. When you feel confident, you can definitely handle all of the deadlines and temptations that will be thrown at you this semester.

4. Call your friends and family.
When things get stressful or you just need a pick-me-up, there is no shame in calling those closest to you for some words of reassurement.

5. Take time for yourself.
When you are finished with classes, work, internships, and homework, make sure you leave a substantial amount of time for yourself at the end of the day. Take a candle-lit bath, watch a favorite movie, catch up on your favorite TV season, or just go for a walk. Whatever you do, set time aside a time slot for doing nothing that has to do with school or stress.

With these tips, there will be no stopping American University’s young ladies who are ready to take on the hectic semester ahead!
Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.