The Seven Stages of Leaving Your Dog for College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As a college student living on campus for my first year, I am quickly coming to the realization that my dog was an important part of my life back home. He would follow me around the house while I was doing chores and watch my every move while I cooked. Granted, he did this for everyone at my house, but still, man’s best friend was his full-time job. Leaving him behind while I went to a school over two hours away was rough. My sisters and I even told him that I was going away to school. He seemed to understand this by our judgment and was very excited when I came home for a few days over Fall Break. Because we can’t have pets in our dorms and most apartments in this area, here are a few of the stages you may go through when you leave your dog to go to college. 

Stage One: The Realization

This happens when you realize the hard truth that your loving dog will not be making the trip to school with you. It usually occurs months before move-in and is filled with guilt for what your dog will soon find out.

Stage Two: The Final Supper

During this stage, you are eating your final meal with your family. Your mother is most likely upset that you won’t be eating her cooking anymore. Meanwhile, you are concerned with making sure that your dog benefits from those last table scraps you can provide that your siblings may not. Who will feed him now?

Stage Three: The Goodbye

Typically taking place the morning you leave home for college, this stage is one of the more difficult stages. Your pup has very little idea that you are going away for more than a few hours.

Stage Four: The First Night Away

The first night in a new place is often very weird and sometimes you just can’t sleep without the harsh panting of a dog beside you.

Stage Five: The Approach-Every-Dog-You-See-on-the-Quad

Every person who spends time on the quad, dog owner or not, goes through this phase. You basically approach every dog that sets foot on the quad. (Bonus points if this stage aligns with Dogs On The Quad.) This stage may or may not also include calling home to specifically talk to the dog. 

Stage Six: The Settling

After about a month or so, you settle into your dogless life. You accept that there will not be a fluffy ball of happiness greeting you at the door of your dorm room. 

Stage Seven: The Triumphant Return

And just like that, you make it to Fall Break and the chance to return home to see your loving dog. All is right with the world until Sunday when you return to camups. Then the stages start all over again. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7