ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Save a Small Business This Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Christmas is coming quickly, we’re only a couple weeks away from the day of holiday cheer and celebration and you may be scrambling to finish (or start!) your holiday shopping. Before you turn to Amazon, Forever 21, or Macy’s, consider the idea of supporting a local DC business. There are an abundance of small boutiques and privately owned shops hiding behind the three and four-story tall department stores in DC, and they need your business this Christmas! Explore a few of the boutiques and online shops below for a more unique and meaningful season of giving. For more online small business stores, visit Door Sixteen’s blog post on supporting independent and local designers and crafters.

1. Violet Boutique is a chic clothing shop for women. With all clothing and accessories priced under $100, you are bound to find an adorable and affordable gift for your best friend, sister, or roommate, while still staying inside your collegiette budget. Violet Boutique is located in Adams Morgan and owned by Julie Egermayer. It was also named the best boutique in DC by the Washington City Paper in 2012 and 2013.

Location:  2439 18th Street  Washington, DC

Hours: T-F 12-8 pm | Sa 11am-8 pm | Su 11am-6 pm

2. Duo is a sister-run boutique owned by Kyle and Elizabeth and it is located in the Book Hill area of Georgetown. From bracelets, to necklaces, to earrings, Duo is the go to place for unique jewelry. Duo will even work with clients to create customized jewelry so you can be sure to find the perfect gift for your special someone. Don’t have time to visit the boutique with finals quickly approaching? Not to worry, simply check out the online store and receive free shipping with orders over $75.

Location: 1624 Wisconsin Avenue NW   Washington, DC

Hours: M- closed | T-Sa 10am-7 pm | Su 12pm- 5 pm

3. Herban Lifestyle is owned by Mary, a local DC woman. It is an online Etsy shop that is partnered with the MADE in DC Etsy team. Herban Lifestyle sells herbal bath and body products from soap, to lip balms, to products for men. Not only are Herban Lifestyle’s protects focused on health and wellness, they are also sustainable and green. Mary is green-certified by Green America and Cruelty Free by Leaping Bunny, and she is also a member of the EcoEstsy Team. Support a greener environment and check out her online etsy shop.

4. Looking for a unique, handmade holiday card to go with all the gifts you have bought for family and friends? Look no further! Odd Daughter Paper Co. is an online stationary and hand-illustrated paper goods store. Owner Katie Hart illustrates each of the cards for sale in a home studio in San Diego. Purchase the cutest greeting card online and use the code DOOR16 for a 15% discount. 

Photo Credit:

http://www.doorsixteen.com/wpc…

Emma is a sophomore at American University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Political Science and Women's Studies. She loves to write, journal, and blog in her free time. Emma is a Communications Intern at the Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE), a non-profit in DC. She is a social media editor for Her Campus American.