Samantha Storch ’15: GRAMMY U

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Samantha Storch (left) with Yaari Tal at GRAMMY U’s DC kickoff party at American University on October 9.

This year, the Kogod School of Business introduced a new undergraduate degree in Business and Entertainment, finally bridging the gap between business and communications for students interested in the entertainment industry. Whether you’re interested in the entertainment business, or just obsessed with music and pop culture, you should know about GRAMMY U. Her Campus AU talked with Samantha Storch, a junior Film and Media Arts major who is a member of GRAMMY U, and is currently interning with the Recording Academy to learn more about this great opportunity for college students.

How did you hear about GRAMMY U?

I first heard about GRAMMY U last fall on Twitter. I had been following the Recording Academy’s account (@theGRAMMYs) for a while and one day they tweeted about an upcoming event in DC for GRAMMY U students. They mentioned a chance to meet and interview Alicia Keys at Sirius XM and I was immediately hooked. I signed up five minutes after that tweet.

What kind of events have you gone to?

The Alicia Keys event was my first one and it was an amazing experience. I had the chance to ask her a question on air and all of the GRAMMY U students got to take a picture with her afterwards. This past spring, I went to Lianne LaHavas‘ sound check and most recently, Nelly was interviewed at Sirius XM by Free (formerly of 106 and Park). GRAMMY U students were able to sit in on the interview and were treated to a performance of some of his hits.

Why did you want to get more involved?

I wanted to get more involved because I knew that being a part of this organization would be an invaluable experience. I have learned so much about the music industry within the past year, both as a member of GRAMMY U and as an intern for the Recording Academy. I wanted to be involved with an organization that is all about supporting the music community. At every level of the Recording Academy, whether it be GRAMMY U or the GRAMMY Foundation, you’re going to find people who love music and who are committed to advancing the industry.

What is your job as an intern?

As an intern for the Recording Academy, I assist with gaining new members (especially GRAMMY U members) and planning events for our members at the three different levels: student (GRAMMY U), associate, and voting. These events include movie screenings, networking receptions and artist interactions, among many more.

Why should other students get involved?

I would say that joining GRAMMY U is essential if you’re a student looking to enter the music industry! You get access to so many resources that might otherwise not be available to you. We have events that suit everyone, whether you’re an aspiring producer, manager or performer. Everyone that works with GRAMMY U wants to see the students in the organization gain valuable information that’ll help them succeed. Justin Timberlake was in DC over the summer and took GRAMMY U students backstage at his concert and showed them all that goes into planning and executing a nationwide tour. These amazing opportunities are so beneficial if you’re someone who wants to go into entertainment. GRAMMY U gives you a head start. Also, GRAMMY U members get discounted tickets to the Grammy Awards! It’s very easy to become a member. You can sign up online here. It’s only 50 dollars and your membership lasts for the entire time you’re in college, plus two years after you graduate. Being a GRAMMY U member has been an unforgettable experience and I hope that other students interested in the music industry take advantage of this opportunity!

Fun fact: I’ve seen Beyoncé 14 times in the past six years.

Favorite artist: (that isn’t Beyoncé): Diana Ross

Favorite class at AU: History of Rock and Roll

Dream job: Music supervisor for an Oscar winning movie (and the soundtrack would get me a Grammy!) or a creative director for a worldwide tour