Review of Tenley Art All Night: Folk Music and Sunflowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

This past weekend, Sept. 24 and 25, Art All Night, for the tenth year in a row, took to the streets of DC showcasing music and artwork by DC Locals. 

Tenleytown’s Art All Night took place Saturday from 7pm to midnight, incorporating anything music festival attendees could want from music in the park to flamenco dancing. 

Artists such as Jae Shin whose artwork was displayed inside of Framers’ Workroom, was able to tell visitors about her paintings and the significance they had to her. 

On display there was an intriguing painting of coffee cups, sitting on a green and purple checkered placemat with whimsical sunflowers flowing out of the coffee. Behind the cups is a musical notation and surrounding the table is a scene of the ocean. 

“When I have a peaceful time, I want to have a nice cup of coffee. I put flowers and particular music in them. I want to have it in a completely submersive place,” Shin said.

Other pieces of her artwork allow for more debate and introspection. 

For example, one painting is set along a dark background and has many different sized sunflowers branching out of a hole in the canvas. The sunflowers closest to the hole are the smallest, but as the sunflowers reach farther and farther away from the hole, the flowers enlarge. 

Shin explains that she cut the hole to allow people to question whether the flowers are growing out, away from the hole or shrinking towards the hole, as a symbol of growth or deterioration.  

Outside of Framers’ Workroom where Shin’s artwork was shown, the band Breathing Easier played songs about the woes of being alone, the convenience of neighboring businesses and the beauty in the end of a day. 

The singer of their trio stated that their song titled “Gone Solo” is inspired by the “paradoxes of being alone by yourself. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s not so good.” 

The next song they sang, “Little Bear Haul” was somewhat more light hearted. 

The song went, “I know a little bar in the middle of a shopping strip. When I buy my groceries, I like to go by for a sip. Dusty little beer haul.”

Across the street, in front of the library, stood a large group of men in black jackets and red button-up shirts singing a cappella. While a cappella groups can at times be very hit or miss, a large group had gathered around the Singing Capital Chorus, cheering them on. 

Overall, Tenley Art All Night is a can’t miss event for anyone living in the area. With so much to do at the art night and so little time, many college students might feel disappointed at only being able to join the festivities for an hour. 

However, you never know what you may uncover during the time you are able to attend whether it be a painter who showcases sunflowers in a unique and enchanting way or a folk loving, relatable band with all the right energies. 

So, next year at the end of September bring some friends down to Tenleytown for food, music and art that will blow your mind.

Makennah Troy

American '24

Makennah is a first year at American University. She is majoring in international studies with a regional focus on the Middle East. She is an advocate for climate change reform. Her hobbies include reading romance fiction, martial arts, and hiking. She is a Feature Writer for Her Campus AU.