Professor Megan Maassen: Life Saver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

American University Professor Megan Maassen of the Department of Literature, saved a life by rescuing a dog from Lucky Dog Animal Rescue in Burleith, Washington, DC two weeks ago. Lou Henry Hoover was a stray Wheaten Terrior mix, found in South Carolina and transferred to DC.  Most ‘Lucky Dogs’ come from high-kill shelters in Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. They live in foster homes throughout the Washington, DC area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia and await placement in “forever homes”.  Lou was lucky enough to be united with Megan and her husband, Adam– although Megan and Adam feel that they are also quite lucky to have found Lou.

Her Campus AU: What prompted you to adopt Lou Henry Hoover?

Professor Megan Maassen: “We had been planning to get a dog for about six months, but never got around to it because we were busy planning a wedding. Actually going out and adopting her was a somewhat spontaneous decision, fueled by a call from a friend who is familiar with the animal rescue.”

HCAU: How did you decide to name her?

Maassen: “Our research actually started on Wikipedia when we searched all the names of First Lady’s. We decided on Lou Henry Hoover because she was the first woman to bring her own philanthropic work into the White House.”

HCAU: What made you choose the Lucky Dog Animal Rescue organization?

Maassen: “A friend of mine is involved with Lucky Dog and got us in touch. We started looking at breeders but we decided we wanted to go the adoption route. It was really fun to adopt a rescue dog because you have a feeling that you are helping a dog but also freeing up a space for another dog in shelter. We didn’t want a puppy and we figured puppies do not have trouble finding homes anyway. We wanted to save an older one.”

HCAU: What made you choose her specifically?

Maassen: “We were drawn to her size, about 40 pounds (35 pounds after her haircut). She is between 2 and 3, which we thought would be a good age.”

HCAU: What type of personality does she exhibit so far?

Maassen: “Lou is very friendly, but passive. We really lucked out because she is so well tempered and really loves people. She doesn’t chew and we haven’t had any housetraining issues. As far as rescue dogs go she is very easy, so I guess we got lucky.”

HCAU: Did you have any dogs when you were growing up?

Maassen: “I did not because my mother is allergic. I used to say that I was a deprived child because I never had a dog. Lou is my first, which is why I think it is so exciting. Lou’s hair is also hypoallergenic, so she will be able to hangout with my mom.”

HCAU: Do you have any other pets?

Maassen: “Not at the moment, but would consider another dog. She’s really good with other animals but we aren’t very much cat people. We are considering getting her a friend in the future because we feel bad leaving her home alone.”

HCAU: Overall, how was your experience with adopting from Lucky Dog Animal Rescue?

Maassen: “It was perfect. I love having a dog because it’s so nice having somebody to come home to. They are always so happy and excited to see you. I would definitely consider adopting another animal from Lucky Dog Animal Rescue, just because I had such a good experience the first time.”

I met Professor Maassen through my enrollment in one of her literature classes. The Monday following her adoption of Lou, she told our class that “as much as she loves our class, she can’t wait to get home and see her new pup.” She has also brought in pictures and short videos of Lou to share with the class. From these you can tell that she makes Lou just as happy as Lou makes her. We are hoping that Lou gets to visit campus one of these days, since we are all dying to meet the newly famous pooch that has stolen Professor Maassen’s heart.

Professor Maassen is very happy with her new addition and her experience at Lucky Dog Rescue. She recommends their organization to anyone interested in finding a new forever friend, or anyone interested in getting involved with some animal-related community service work.

For more information on the Lucky Dog Rescue or to offer a donation please visit their website.

Photo Credit:

Megan Maassen

http://s3-media1.ak.yelpcdn.co…