Presidents’ Day: Let’s Hear It For The Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

(Front row, left to right, Lady Bird Johnson, Pat Nixon, Rosalynn Carter, Betty Ford, and Nancy Reagan, and Barbara Bush, standing, left to right)

We might not get a day off from classes today for Presidents’ Day, but it is time to say Happy Birthday to and remember our country’s greatest leaders, including George Washington and Abe Lincoln. However, this country has seen more than its fair share of powerful female leaders who do not get their own day. We may not have had a woman president, (cough, cough Hillary Clinton) but the time is undoubtedly coming soon. We have had many great First Lady leaders who have shattered the exceptions of their job as First Lady and further progressed the role of women in American Politics. Here are some of the First Ladies of the United States and many of their greatest accomplishments.

Dolley Madison

The fourth First Lady of the United States, Dolley Madison was 17 years younger than her husband President James Madison and was famous before he even took office. During the War of 1812 Dolley famously refused to leave the White House without saving as much as possible when the British were coming to burn it down. Holding on to the portrait of President George Washington, Dolley through her efforts helped keep alive many parts of American History. Dolley helped build the first official White House in Washington, D.C.

Eleanor Roosevelt

When her Husband F.D.R. assumed office in 1933, the United States was faced with many challenges. Eleanor Roosevelt helped the country throughout the Great Depression and World War II, aiding Americans in confronting many challenges of the time. She lead a wide range of civil rights moments including her vocal support of African-American rights and anti-Japanese prejudice during her husband’s term in office. One of the most outspoken, Eleanor Roosevelt utilized media holding nearly 400 press conferences during the 12 years F.D.R. was in office. After her husband passed away in 1945, Eleanor was chosen by President Harry S. Truman to represent the United States at the United Nations, creating a global bill of human rights.

Jacqueline Kennedy

Known for her impeccable fashion sense and style, Jackie-O did a lot more than just flaunt the perfect pant suit when her husband President John F. Kennedy was in office. A Graduate of our neighboring school George Washington University, Jackie Kennedy was known for her keen eye for design that helped to revamp The White House. Originally a photographer in D.C., she was the youngest First Lady and one of the most popular. Known for her extensive knowledge of France and foreign trips, Jacqueline was the first First Lady to give America on television a tour of the White House. She was also known for her courage and strength after the tragic death of J.F.K.

Hillary Rodham Clinton

Even if she doesn’t run for President in 2016, Hillary Clinton will rarely be labeled today as a former first lady. She was appointed Secretary of State for President Barack Obama’s first term in 2009 and was a New York Senator from 2001 to 2009. Before that she was the first lady during President Bill Clinton two terms from 1993 to 2001 and the first women to do so with a postgraduate degree and her own professional career. Hillary also became the first First Lady with an office in the West Wing of the White House in addition to the usual First Lady offices in the East Wing. She broke the barrier for First Ladies to be involved in public policy and helped start health care and other policy initiatives.

Michelle Obama

Our current first lady, Michelle Obama accomplished a lot when her husband Barack Obama came into office in January of 2009. A staple in American popular culture, Michelle was the first African-American First Lady and attended Princeton University for her under graduate degree with a law degree from Harvard. Since 2009, Michelle has focused her efforts toward combating childhood obesity, women’s rights and encouragement of national service. She lead the administration wide initiative titled “Let’s Move” to promote healthy lifestyles for children and placement of better food in schools. She also has had some amazing fashion moments.

If Hillary Clinton was president, what do you think Bill Clinton’s title would be? Man of the House? First Gentleman? Weigh in and comment below!

Image sources: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/First_Ladies_at_Ronald_Reagan_Presidential_Library.jpg 

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/content/2012/0905-michelle-obama/13662226-1-eng-US/0905-michelle-obama_full_600.jpg 

http://foresightimprovement.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/eleanor.jpg

http://trialx.com/curetalk/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/03/jackie_kennedy_fashion_symbol.jpg

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.
Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.