This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Election season is well underway, with only 27 days until the midterms, and people all over the country are making their plans to vote. Now that COVID-19 regulations have eased, many Americans will be returning to the voting booth this November, expecting a smooth experience to cast their ballots. 

This November, a great way to get more involved with the election is to work the polls. Poll workers are employed in almost every district throughout the country in order to efficiently distribute and collect ballots. The District of Columbia is currently accepting applications for people who want to work the 2022 elections, and are offering training sessions in October. 

Election workers go through training in order to understand the voting machines, ballot distribution, and ballot collection procedures. These trainings will last for four hours and cover different responsibilities of the Registration Clerk, Ballot Clerk, Voter Assistance Clerk and Voter Center Technician- all of which are responsible for different tasks on election day, Nov. 8 2022. 

There are polling locations throughout the District, Maryland and Virginia, and the Board of Elections will try to assign workers to a polling station close to their home. These locations each serve a smaller community, and give the workers an opportunity to witness democracy in action!

Workers are encouraged to bring any necessary medications, snacks and other essentials because it is a full work day. Election workers spend almost the entire day on site, starting at 6:00 a.m. and closing out the day just after 9:00 p.m. Election workers who commit to early voting shifts will work six-hours shifts at a time. Those who work the full day on Election day can earn up to $250, those who work Early Voting shifts can earn up to $100 per shift. Candidates can apply on the District of Columbia Board of Elections website

Working the polls is a great way to get involved with local elections, especially as students who are lacking the excitement from voting due to having to cast an absentee ballot instead of receiving the “I Voted” sticker in person.

Hannah is a senior at American University. She's studying political science with a focus on race and gender in politics. She loves writing and baking, and can typically be found with a large iced coffee and a pair of knitting needles.