The Perfect Transition Pieces for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

While D.C. is still struggling to decide what season it should be, fall fashion is upon us. While the weather is still relatively warm out, many struggle with deciding what to wear when it’s not quite warm enough to be rocking your jean shorts, but too chilly to whip out the sweaters. Below are five transition staples that everyone should have in their closet!

1. Flannels

There’s nothing better than a soft, worn-in flannel. There are plenty of ways to style your flannel! You can tie it around your waist to add some extra flare to your outfit, or be extra prepared for the unpredictable weather and throw it on when the weather cools down at night. You can also wear it unbuttoned with a slouchy T-shirt, graphic tee or whatever you prefer. And you can button it up and you’re ready to go!

2. Distressed Jeans

Jeans are always an easy go to. They are extremely versatile, and can easily be dressed up or down. Distressed denim is a transition piece and a fall staple. Specifically, the fraternal twin of the boyfriend jean, the girlfriend jean is perfect for this time of year. They are slightly more fitted than the boyfriend jean, but still accomplish a simple, laid back look, while keeping you warm.

3. Booties

You can’t forget about your feet! If you keep wearing your favorite pair of sandals, your feet will no longer be your biggest fan. Booties can be worn with jeans, dresses, skirts, you name it. They will be a consistent go-to in your wardrobe!

4. Scarves

Scarves add a little something special to outfits. While being a fashion statement, they are also very functional. These can really add something to your ensemble and show off your personality.

5. Chunky Knit Sweaters

Layering is essential when the weather is warm in the day, but somehow manages to drop 20 degrees when the sun sets. This is where your trusty knit sweaters come in! The extra layer will keep you stylish and warm throughout fall.

Photo Credits: 12, 3, 4, 5, 6