Overcoming Spring Semester Blues… And Some Other Applicable Life Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

If you’re anything like me, then you definitely don’t look forward to leaving family, friends and your home for long periods of time. You get home sick, you’re not the biggest fan of change. Coming to American University in the fall was a difficult transition to say the least; I moved to a new city almost 2,000 miles away from home. Over time, I’ve learned that life is all about perspective. I know that may sound cliché and it’s what everyone says, but believe it or not it’s actually 100% true. As a first semester college student, I, like most other awkward freshmen, kept to myself a lot. I rarely hung out with anyone other than my roommate, because let’s face it – socializing was not a strong suit for many freshman. Although I became very close with my friend Netflix, I regret not trying even just a little more, and I know, or at least I hope, I’m not just speaking for myself. We’ve all been there and sometimes we tend to forget that; we move into a new city and a new home where we don’t know anyone. We become fixated on this idea that everyones is against us because of the way that they looked at us, or because they didn’t say “hi,” when we waved at them so we prefer to keep to ourselves, dwelling on missing our home and just going the motions of being alone.

Last semester, as the end of finals week approached, I couldn’t have been more excited (or ready) to go home. I wanted to be back to everything I knew. But what really surprised me, was the fact that I actually started to miss my friends, school and the city towards the end of break. I especially missed being independent and going to Panera (because I mean, it’s Panera – there’s also no Panera where I’m from, so bear with me). With that being said, life is literally all about your attitude. Again, I know it’s cliche and you’re probably reading this thinking “if I hate it now, I’m probably going to keep hating it.” But the truth is (and not to get too deep here), but this really applies to anything in life: what you put in, is what you’ll get. And yes, there might be days when you really try your hardest and it feels like nothing is going your way, but that’s just one day, not your entire week, month or even semester.

On the plane ride back to school, I had one of those cliché moments of deep thought. I was looking out of the window with my headphones, listening to an inspiring song (don’t act like you haven’t done it even driving at least once), but I thought to myself, “I need to change my perspective, I need to at least do something.” Literally with anything you do, you will get a greater outcome if you put that extra mile in. Try new things! Try to join clubs, greek life, go to that meeting that’s all the way in MGC because, why not? Talk to that person that you walk past every day but never with; eat lunch with someone else in one of your classes or even just start conversation with them and learn something new. We have something to learn about everything and everyone around us – get out there and just explore. Just try it! Just tell yourself “today will be a good day” and try something new. You’d be surprised at what comes with making friends in a class or joining a club or organization can do to your day. Personally, it’s one less thing to see as something you have to “deal with” but something to look forward to. So, that’s my “big advice” for overcoming spring semester blues, or I guess any blues in general. Change your perspective and try to keep an open mind. Just let go a little, relax, and have some fun! You’re obviously here for a reason so whether it be discovering a new love interest, finding a new favorite place to hang out with friends, or joining a new club, you never know what’s out there!

Good luck, collegiate! You can do this. 

Photo Credit: 1, 2