Opinion: The National Museum of Women In the Arts is Exactly What D.C. Needed

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

On Oct. 21, the National Museum of Women in the Arts reopened its doors to the public. The museum located in Northwest Washington, D.C. was closed for two years of renovations, but it is back up and running and eager to welcome guests. 

The National Museum of Women in the Arts (NMWA) is the only museum of its kind in Washington, D.C. Having a creative space that highlights women’s voices is something that the city was missing. Washington, D.C. is home to dozens of art museums and private galleries. While museums in Washington house several works by female artists, men overpower the galleries. Based on statistics provided by NMWA, 87% of 18 major U.S. art museum collections are male-dominated. 

Representation is not the only problem women in the art world face today. As female artists grow older, they will earn 66 cents to the dollar that male artists earn, according to the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA). 

NMWA is an essential space in Washington, D.C., as it reengages the voices and perspectives of women in the arts. 

Six exhibitions highlight the unique experiences of female artists. “Holding Ground: Artists’ Books for the National Museum of Women in the Arts” highlights spaces where women’s creativity flourishes. This exhibition is particularly unique because it shows nine books that emphasize the mission of NMWA. The exhibition is located near the Betty Boyd Dettre Library and Research Center inside the museum. In accordance with the mission of NMWA to share the voices of female artists and to educate people about women in the arts, these books show the different experiences and perspectives women artists have faced throughout their lifetimes.

NMWA also prints an award-winning magazine three times a year. This publication includes information about exhibitions, interviews with artists and museum news to keep the public engaged. 

As part of its recent renovations, NMWA now hosts a new Learning Commons dedicated to educating others about women in the arts. 

NMWA serves the community as an educational institution, in addition to being the first of its kind in the nation’s capital to feature female artists. With the reopening of NMWA, women’s voices in the arts are being spotlighted in Washington, and young female artists now have a place to go and be inspired by women who share their love of the arts. NMWA is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visitors 21 and under receive free admission, and the fee for adults is $16 or $13 for Washington, D.C. residents.

Isabella is a Sophomore Journalism Major and Art History Minor at American University. Isabella is interested in DC lifestyle and culture, art, and pop culture. Isabella is currently a contributing writer for HCAU. Isabella is living in Washington DC.