The New Hulu Original Show: 11.22.63

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Stephen King’s bestselling novel on the JFK assassination, “11.22.63,” has now become an eight-part miniseries on Hulu. The series will release a new episode every Monday. The buzzed about show stars James Franco. One can’t help but wonder…will this show be worth watching?

I’ll let you decide that for yourselves, but personally I cannot stop thinking about it! I haven’t had the chance to read the 849-page book, but the show is definitely making me doubt my life choices. The what-if storyline constantly keeps you guessing and wondering what will happen next. It’s unpredictable and unexpected, and that is what makes the show so watchable. It’s better than previous Stephen King adaptation “Under The Dome.”

James Franco plays a lonely, divorced high school teacher named Jake Epping, who comes across a time portal back to 1958 in the closet of a diner, and spends five years plotting a way to stop President Kennedy’s assassination. He has a very rocky start to this adventure.

I was surprised to learn that James Franco would be playing the main role in the miniseries until I heard how he got it. Franco saw 11/22/63 at an airport bookstore, and just picked it up. Franco says that when he read it he got “this gut feeling, a tingle, that it could be something more.” He emailed Stephen King and inquired about the rights, only to be told that Star Wars: Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams had beat him to it. But an online essay Franco wrote about the book for Vice Magazine got the attention of Abrams, who offered him the lead role. Franco got on board, on the condition that he would be involved in directing.

If you’re looking for a new show to start – immerse yourself in the mystery of “11.22.63!” 

Photo: 1, 2, 3, 4

Video

Brittany Roberts is a Freshman at American University. Her major is Business and Entertainment. She plays the piano, violin, and guitar and loves poetry.