My Top 3 Must Watch and Listen List for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As finals wind down, and free time is on the horizon, watching TV and YouTube seem to be more possible. However, finding that perfect show to watch or an informative podcast to listen to is sometimes hard when there are so many options to choose from. So, I made it easier for you. Here are my top three must watch and listen to for TV shows, YouTube videos, and podcasts.

1. The Queen’s Gambit

The Queen’s Gambit was originally a novel by Walter Tevis and was adopted by Netflix this year. The show is set during the Cold War era and focuses on a talented orphaned girl named Elizabeth (Beth) Harmon. It details her journey to becoming the greatest chess player in the world. 

The Queen’s Gambit has become one my favorites shows because it is a social commentary on addiction, sex and relationships. Beth struggles with the pressures of being gifted while also dealing with her depression that stems from losing relationships due to heavy substance abuse. The show is not only a journey of Beth’s chess struggles and victories, but a story of Beth’s adolescence, her personal struggles, and victories. 

person holding a remote control pointed at TV streaming netflix
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

2. Red Table Talk With Olivia Jade 

For the first time since the college admissions scandal, Olivia Jade spoke out about her and her parents, actress Lori Loughlin and fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli. The college admission scandal happened in 2018 once news broke that Olivia Jade and her parents posed Jade to be a competitive rower and bribed the coach of the University of Southern California rowing team to recruit Jade. Olivia Jade was a successful Youtuber and student at USC. Now, she has lost brand deals, followers, her spot at USC, and both of her parents are facing prison sentences. Jade decided that she wanted to reach out to Red Table Talk, which is a talk show with Willow Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Adrienne Banfield-Norris, to explain the situation. Red Table Talk is known for having honest conversation where important topics are discussed. 

Topics such a white privilege are addressed in this episode in regards to the fact that Jade’s race and financial situation allowed her to cheat her way into University of Southern California. The question of whether or not she should be given a second chance is also spoken about. To listen and watch the Red Table Talk, click here

3. Pod Save America

If you are looking for an easy way to get updated on the current political situation from a Democrat-leaning perspective, listen to Pod Save America. Pod Save America is a political podcast produced and distributed by Crooked Media that shares progressive viewpoints on current events. 

Some of my favorite episodes have been “Pardon Me” and  “the Ads that Defined 2020.” “Pardon me” gives listeners an understanding of what kind of pardons President Trump is giving in 2020 and insights on whether or not President Trump is running in 2024. In “the Ads that Defined 2020” a breakdown of the best presidential campaign ads of 2020 is given. 

I love listening to political theories, hearing about the current analysis of political trends, and being caught up with the news, so listening to Pod Save America is perfect for me and it might be for you too. 

Photo by Clay Banks on Unsplash
Make sure to binge watch and listen to any content you want over the course of winter break. It is so important to unwind and treat yourself to a little TV or podcast time. After working hard  all semester, finding down time to relax can be really meaningful. College can put us in a bubble, so I find catching up on the world around us with TV shows and podcasts to be really fun.  

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Photos: Her Campus Media Library