Multitasking: Netflix and Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

You know that terrible moment when Netflix gives you fifteen seconds to decide whether or not your going to accomplish anything with your day, or crush an entire season of Gossip Girl? I’ve been in that position more times than I would like to admit, and I’m not ashamed to say I’ve chosen to watch the dramatic Upper East Siders over doing work. Chuck and Blair forever. 

After one too many episodes and not feeling accomplished, I decided I had to do something about it. I figured why can’t I watch Netflix and do something productive at the same time? Another question: do you ever wish you were that girl who goes to the gym everyday and hits it hard and is in super amazing shape? The gym can feel so far away. Well, I have a solution for you. Why not workout in the comfort of your dorm room, and watch Orange Is the New Black at the same time? 

Below are a few exercises that you can do either by yourself, or with your roommates, as you watch your favorite shows. Time to feel accomplished.

1. 25 Squats – 3 sets of 25

Stand with your head facing forward and your chest parallel to the ground. Your feet should be shoulder-width apart. Hold your hands either to your side or in front of you, depending on what is most comfortable. Stand on the balls of your feet and bend down like you are about to sit in a chair. Make sure that your knees are over your ankles. Come back up and do it again. 

2. Twist Crunches – 2 sets of 15

Lie on the floor with your back to the ground and your knees bent at 90 degrees. Lift your shoulders off the ground and begin to twist from left to right. If you want to make this exercise more difficult, use a medicine ball or since you’re in a dorm, use that $150 textbook you had to buy for Sustainable Earth. 

3. Front Lunges – 3 sets of 10 for each leg 

Standing up, start with your feet together. Begin by stepping forward with one foot. You want to have your opposite knee touch the ground. Make sure to have your knee not come out farther than your foot. Do the same thing for the other leg. 

4. Pushups – 3 Sets of 20 

Everyone pretty much knows how these go. If you’re a beginner, try using your desk first to get the form down. Place your hands so that they are shoulder-width apart. Raise up onto your toes, that way your body weight is predominately on your shoulders and hands. Keep your abs tight and slowly make your way down to the desk or floor. With your body straight, push yourself back up. 

5. Mountain Climbers – 2 sets of 20

On the floor, get into a push up position. Then bring one leg up to your chest. Your knee should touch your chest. Repeat this motion, as fast as you can, with the other leg, almost as if you are running. Repeat this motion until you are done with the repetition. 

Photo Credit:  Header, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Netflix Tank