A Millennial’s Guide to Tattoo Fads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Tattoos are becoming more and more of a mainstream form of self-expression – not quite gone are the days of disapproving parents and mentors, but tattoos certainly aren’t rare anymore. With every other person on the street sporting ink, it can be difficult to be entirely unique with designs. But is that a bad thing? Contrary to MTV and other sites dubbing popular tattoo fads amongst females as “basic,” there’s a good reason such fads exist. That being said, here are ten of the most popular tattoos for women. While these may be popular ideas, most are entirely customizable and too cute to look over!

1. Constellations

Whether you’re into astrology or astronomy, constellations are an elegant and subtle way to show off your favorite star clusters.

2. EKG Tracings

Heart line tattoos are delicate and passionate- why settle for a heart when you can get a heartbeat? They’re easily customizable and romantic, and are absolutely perfect for slipping in a flowy script.

3. Roses

There’s a reason roses are the flower of love. Their full, beautiful petals are just as lovely on skin as they are in a bouquet. With so many options for style and color, rose tattoos are more expressive than one may think.

4. World Maps

What better way to commemorate your world travels or express your wanderlust than with a world map? You can even make an ongoing project of marking each nation to which you travel, and just watch as your tattoo gradually fills with color.  

5. Compasses

Regardless of which direction you’re headed, a compass tattoo is an excellent addition to your journey. Simple or complex, these tattoos are elegant and classic in appearance, and can pack quite the philosophical punch.

6. Arrows

Perhaps popularized by some of film’s favorite archers, arrows also serve as a reminder that sometimes hardships can propel you forward. And for those budding careerists, the straight path of an arrow can symbolize one’s straight path towards their goals.

7. Bird Silhouettes

Birds represent freedom and free expression- and silhouettes in flight maintain that breathless sense of self determination. Tris from Divergent certainly thought so, and she sports a beautiful rendition near her collarbone.

8. Anchors

Steadfast and reliable, anchor tattoos never leave their wearers afloat. They’re both strong and beautiful, as well as charmingly nautical. 

9. Infinity Signs

The graceful curves of infinity signs flow well with the body, and their permanence on the skin reflect the permanence of their meaning. These signs are loving and spiritual, and much like heart lines it’s easy to weave in a beautiful script.

10. Feathers

Feathers are light and delicate, symbolizing purity and virtue. They’re dynamic on the skin and can be interpreted as both bright and colorful or black and monochromatic. Do be wary of cultural appropriation when picking a design, as certain stylizations also hold a lot of meaning in Native American culture. 

Tattoos are an artistic and beautiful form of self-expression, and popularity shouldn’t be a hindrance in picking some awesome ideas. More important than the idea itself is communication between the one being tattooed and the one tattooing- tattoo artists are experts in fleshing concepts out into unique works of art. 

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11