Mica Brenman ’14 Vagina Monologues Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

“Behind every successful man is a great woman.”

This quote would most likely be shot down by Mica Brenman, a junior studying International Development. Mica is a member of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority, and the Deputy Director/Director of Programming for AU’s Women’s Initiative. As the Deputy Director/ Director of Programming, Mica she helps make AU students aware of issues that affect women. She is the “Robin” to the Women Initiative’s president, not to mention a cool member of the club frisbee team. She knows how to balance the work and play perfectly, while still focusing on her true passion in life: women empowerment.

What are the Vagina Monologues?

The Vagina Monologues are the stories of women not heard before, but that continue to be relevant. They are the voices of women everywhere, no matter culture, age, etc. They are an expression of womanhood, and each person makes the story their own.

Why did you want to be in Vagina Monologues?

This is my third year in Vagina Monologues. My freshman year, I was scared, but interested in the word vagina. I had only heard one piece from the Vagina Monologues. I fell in love with the piece and decided to do it, it pushed me out of my comfort zone. I had been acting since I was a kid, but I loved the issues that were addressed.

What Vagina Monologue experiences made you feel out of your comfort zone?

Because of the way society puts women’s issues, it makes it awkward to talk about things like tampons and periods with people other than your girlfriends. My first year [in Vagina Monologues], I did a piece about rape in Bosnia; it felt personal. The issues tackled in Vagina Monologues also took me out of my comfort zone. I also did a scene about lesbian sex workers and faked an orgasm in front of my parents. The experiences are valuable.

What character do you portray?

The character I play this year is “My Angry Vagina.” This year this character is split between myself and another girl – it takes a fresh look at an old piece. It is a rant about what makes vaginas angry, such as tampons and periods. It talks about trivial, but emotional topics, like the right to contraception.

How is the cast?

The cast is why I do the show each year. I always believe the cast can’t get better every year. I look forward to rehearsal. It’s a women committee to talk about women’s issues. I remain friends with each year’s cast. They are inspiring women.

Do you see you see yourself doing more things similar to the Vagina Monologues?

Everything I do, I focus in Women’s Studies. I might even get a Masters in it. I love the expression of women’s issues through theatre. I like activism in forms of theatre and the arts.

What do you bring to the Vagina Monologues?

I bring a combination of three years of experience the most. I know the Vagina Monologues like the back of my hand. I bring everything I have each year to my performance. With this being my last year, because I will graduate in the winter, this year means more to me. It is a bittersweet feeling, and I have an emotional attachment to my pieces. After doing three pieces in three years, I have the same attachment to each piece every year.

Brianna M. Williams is a student in the School of Communication at American University in Washington, D.C. She is studying print journalism, with minors in graphic design and marketing. Currently, Brianna is a seventeen social club member for Seventeen Magazine, an online marketing assistant in American University's School of Communication, and a chapter advisor for Her Campus. Dance Moms and E! News are her guilty pleasures. And she loves the feeling and smell of a new magazine, as much as she loves opening a new pair of shoes.