Meet Ayla Ludlow, 13, Whose Letter to The Obama’s Got Her Invited to The White House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

On October 27 the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team was honored at the White House for their FIFA World Cup victory. The women were given well-deserved congratulations and recognition and the internet went wild when President Obama said, “Playing like a girl’ means you’re a badass.”

But the other star that day was Alya Ludlow, the 13-year-old girl who introduced Obama. Ayla got the White House’s attention when she wrote them a letter during the World Cup this summer. While Ayla was watching one of the matches her brother told her that “boys are so much better at soccer than girls.” Rather than get into a petty fight with her brother, like most siblings, she decided to reach out to the president and first lady— and they listened. Her letter was shared on the White House Instagram with its 1.3 million followers.

That letter is what got her an invitation to the White House for the ceremony, where she read the letter, gave a few remarks and introduced the president. And before he even spoke about the women’s team, President Obama shared some kind words about Ayla.

“I don’t know where your brother is right now, but this is some payback right here,” Obama said.

I personally was not only excited about this because it is a wonderful demonstration of young feminism, but I was also thrilled when I found out that Ayla and I are from the same small town in Massachusetts. I was lucky enough to get in touch with her to talk to her about this experience.

Her Campus American University: When were you invited to the White House? And what did it feel like?

Alya Ludlow: About a month ago they asked if they could share the letter on their website when Obama was congratulating a basketball team [the NCAA Women’s Championship team]. Mandy, she’s a White House secretary, was able to get in contact with my dad to ask if they could share it. Then just last Friday they called and asked if I wanted to come down to the White House. It was so cool. I was actually nervous but everyone said I should say yes. So I said yes!

HCAU: What was it like meeting POTUS and the women’s soccer team? 

AL: It was awesome. They [the players] were sarcastic and funny. A lot of them were actually short. And Obama is really really nice. He was tall and friendly. I also got to meet the vice president.

HCAU: What about speaking in front of all those people? Were you nervous?

AL: Yeah but Mandy helped me get ready. She was really nice. We had sound checks and helped me practice so I wouldn’t be as nervous.

HCAU: I know Pembroke is a pretty small town. Are you getting a lot of attention and recognition?

AL: Yeah. Recently there was events [at the middle school] that brought everyone down so I think I helped bring everyone back up.

HCAU: Have you seen or heard things before this where you thought girls weren’t being treated fairly?

AL: Yeah. Some boys can be nice. But some boys just think it’s stupid. People say that it’s fair and that it’s fixed but men still get paid more for some jobs so it’s still not fair.

HCAU: Who are your role models?

AL: There are two from the soccer team: Hope Solo and Alex Morgan. Also Michelle Obama. I love her but I didn’t get to meet her though. I also love Ellen DeGeneres.

HCAU: In your letter you said you want to do something about gender inequality. Any ideas?

AL: I’m going to campaign with the Boston Breakers and I want to start a campaign called Proud to be a Girl (or something like that) and have an event in Boston. It’s gonna be cool!

HCAU: Future plans? 

AL: I used to want to be a pediatrician… But now I actually want to be a public speaker!

Ayla, bravo for standing up against gender inequality. Its great that you not only recognize it at your age but that you’re also doing something about it. The world needs more people like you, seeing injustice and taking action. Obama said it best in his speech: “Nothing gives me more hope than knowing that we’ve got a whole generation of young women like Ayla ready to take the world by storm.”

So on behalf of feminists everywhere, thank you Ayla and keep up the good work!

Photo Credits: 1234