Culture > News

The Aftermath of the Marrakech-Safi Earthquake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The Marrakech-Safi earthquake struck near the town of Oukaïmedene in Morocco on Sept. 8 where the death toll has climbed to more than 2,900 in the last two weeks, making it the deadliest quake to hit Morocco since 1960.

The 6.8 magnitude earthquake caused serious damage to ancient cities such as Marrakech, and displaced thousands of residents, especially those located in the High Atlas mountains. 

It is estimated that 300,000 Moroccans are now without shelter as a result of the natural disaster. Even with aid arriving to help, many people are struggling to find food and water in the aftermath of Marrakech-Safi. 

The areas most affected by the quake are poor communities that are hard to access, with steep hills and no paved roads, making it extremely difficult for rescuers to provide aid. As a result, many survivors are pulling the deceased from the rubble and trying to care for survivors on their own until help arrives. 

Imane Erbeen, 18, was home visiting family on her vacation from college when the earthquake hit. She told NPR she was with her younger sister and cousins when they felt the house begin to shake and fled into the street. Erbeen lost her home and her mother to the quake, and she is temporarily staying with relatives outside in a field. 

Moroccan hospitals are overflowing with injured people seeking help, and many hospitals are merely tents with a few beds as the buildings collapsed with much of the medical equipment still inside. 

Over 50,000 homes have been damaged or completely demolished, and as with most natural disasters, impoverished communities are facing the largest struggles. There are several organizations taking donations to help Moroccans after this tragedy, including the Global Giving’s Morocco Earthquake Relief Fund. The organization is using funds to send food, clean water and medications to survivors in addition to providing temporary housing to those who have been displaced. 

Doctors Without Borders is also accepting donations to send doctors and other medical providers from all over the world to the area to care for the injured as Moroccan hospitals are overwhelmed with patients and under equipped to handle the mass devastation.

Annabelle Evans

American '24

Belle is a Senior at American University majoring in literature with a focus in creative writing. She is from the Philadelphia area and loves to read. She enjoys writing on current events, pop culture phenomenons and especially issues impacting women.