Markette Smith: DC on Heels Co-Founder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Originally for California, American alum, Markette Smith, made a statement in Washington when starting the entertainment website, DC on Heels. During her time in the School of Communication, Markette recalls the master’s program to be very hands on, as she learned most of her technical skills such as Final Cut Pro. She says that even though interactive journalism was her concentration, she is thankful she learned these skills, as she used them when starting DC on Heels and at her job as a reporter for either WAMU 88.5FM and CTV News. In addition to her already busy schedule, she also writes for Essence as a contributing health and fitness writer.

When starting DC on Heels, she and her partner, Vanessa Camozzi, made sure that the nation’s capital was more then just the monuments. While looking for jobs in 2008, Markette and Vanessa grabbed the chance at pursuing what they love, and became DC’s new entertainment correspondents. Simply with one of the many of the Internet’s free platforms, they went to different events around the city and blogged six days a week. DCOH showed that DC contained just as much great food, fashion, and events as any other city. Since starting DC on Heels, she gained the opportunity to meet and interview celebrities such as Lauren Conrad from MTV’s The Hills, Christian Siriano of Project Runway, and E!’s very own news anchor, Giuliana Rancic. When not on the red carpet or the Capitol, she covers fashion shows and food tastings at restaurants in the area for DCOH followers. As the website grew, it earned plenty of sponsorships such as Kim Kardashian’s website, Shoe Dazzle.

During the four years working on her DC on Heels, Markette plans on expanding herself in the blogging world by starting a new website focusing on a global perspective. Markette wishes to also grow professionally and aspires to work for Entertainment Tonight or Extra. She hopes to move to New York City or Los Angeles, even if it means leaving her favorite DC spots like Cactus Cantina and Georgetown.

Colleen V. Antonio is a student at American University in Washington DC. She is majoring in Public Communication with minors in Marketing. She is a member of the sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. Currently, Colleen writes and is President for HerCampus American, which combines her interests in fashion, food, and entertainment in the local DMV area. One day she hopes to find a job with all these interests that will enable her to travel around the world. During her free time, Colleen enjoys exploring the city whether it is heading to listen to an underground band at Black Cat with her friends or even just eating cookie dough ice cream on the steps of the National Portrait Gallery.
Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.