This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With Spring Break on the horizon, college students wonder what concessions they’ll have to make to go on an enviable vacation without blowing all their savings. That’s where ‘Making a Break for It’ (MABFI) comes in. This student-sponsored choose-your-own-adventure spring break game show gives you a list of ideas to get out of Washington D.C. for the March break.

NYC Day Trip
Using OurBus costs up to 40 dollars for a roundtrip from The District to NYC. Lodging in New York is notoriously expensive; you’ll feel more like a Humphrey than a Bass, but what’s more exciting than exploring a city against the clock? Catch an arthouse film at the Brooklyn Academy of Music or stop by Broadway theatre box offices at least a day before a show to get discounted tickets. While in Hell’s Kitchen, you can also peek in the newly refurbished Drama Bookshop, or you can always eat $1 pizza slices on the side of the busiest streets.
MABFI Travel Notes: 4 Hours to a whole new state of mind.

Bethesda, Maryland
Downtown Bethesda, Maryland has French fries with Maryland’s most famous seasoning, Old Bay, at Andy’s Pizza. Students can also get free tickets to theatre productions at Roundhouse Theatre. Bethesda is a feasible day trip due to its proximity to D.C.
MABFI Travel Notes: 20 minutes to a different zip code.

Mosaic, Fairfax, Virginia
The Mosaic District is an outdoor alternative to a mall trip. You can browse the huge Barnes and Noble, enjoy gelato, indulge in a spa treatment, or take an Instagram selfie on the mural rooftop parking lot. Their website also houses their Farmer’s Market dates and an event calendar for activities in their grassy park.
MABFI Travel Notes: 20 minutes driving into Northern Virginia from D.C.

Carolina Beach, Pleasure Island, North Carolina
For a chance at real-life ‘snow on the beach,’ visit the Atlantic coast when business is at its lowest. Carolina Beach has low-cost rentals available at Airbnb where you can hear the waves at night. The boardwalk is full of fudge shops and trinket stores full of memorabilia and cozy sweatshirts. You can also visit the local aquarium to see the pair of rescued sea turtles the aquarium houses in their conservation habitat annually.
MABFI Travel Notes: 6 hours till summer.

Thanks for participating in ‘Making a Break for It,’ and happy traveling!

Fairouz Ouikhlfen is a Public Relations major at American University. She has a massive crush on Timothée Chalamet and is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus AU.