Maddie Beard, Founder of See. Like. Blog.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With an eye for fashion and a talent for graphic design, Maddie Beard was inspired to put together the two and create her own blog, See. Like. Blog. After a long development stage and influenced by her blogosphere idol Emily from Cupcakes and Cashmere, she finally spent 6 hours designing and creating her blog. Beard developed the name See. Like. Blog. and liked its simplicity as well as its open-endedness. The blog gives her the perfect excuse to share her ideas with the digital world and to try new things. Without any limitations, Beard is able to write about attempting new recipes, telling her readers about a new song she stumbled upon, or posting pictures of her eclectic outfits.

Since starting SLB, Maddie tells aspiring bloggers “Don’t be afraid to spend several months in the development stage. I am a pretty impatient person and I like seeing immediate results, but with this process I realized that I couldn’t rush the concept or figuring out the aesthetics. Going off of that, focus on the design. I see so many blogs with great content but are lacking in quality design. AU has a Graphic Design program — make some friends, collaborate with someone, get advice. Even if you don’t think you have an eye for design or the knowledge for coding your own blog, utilize the resources you have — it will serve you well in the long run.” 

Balancing her personal life, extracurricular, and a professional life, Beard hopes of expanding her readership during the summer. She also desires to one day being a conceptual designer for store windows or working in the art department of magazines like Glamour, Vogue, or Vanity Fair. Beard stands out with her personal style and describes it to be constantly changing. When she is interning, Maddie tweaks her polished look by throwing on some quirky items. Usually, friends can find her experimenting with her clothes and enjoying the challenge of wearing an item outside of the box. In the mean time, she enjoys hitting her favorite places in D.C. such as Eastern Market, Georgetown, or Buffalo Exchange; where most of the pieces of her closet comes from. To check out more of Maddie’s items or crafty adventures head to See. Like. Blog. now!

Colleen V. Antonio is a student at American University in Washington DC. She is majoring in Public Communication with minors in Marketing. She is a member of the sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. Currently, Colleen writes and is President for HerCampus American, which combines her interests in fashion, food, and entertainment in the local DMV area. One day she hopes to find a job with all these interests that will enable her to travel around the world. During her free time, Colleen enjoys exploring the city whether it is heading to listen to an underground band at Black Cat with her friends or even just eating cookie dough ice cream on the steps of the National Portrait Gallery.