This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

There has been a common factor in Generation Y that has become alarmingly evident with the invention of social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and most recently, SnapChat. There is an apparent desperate need for approval. Where did this “need” come from and why does this even exist in a day when independence and individuality is celebrated?

Needing approval from society, whether it be from your friend list or a group of random followers, has become a paradox. Today young people are encouraged to show off their unique and quirky personalities. We are far from the days of conformism that were apparent during the 1950’s, or are we? Growing up in a generation of certain technological advances, where it is a normality for a constant status update, is an open invitation for the mentality of thinking people actually care about your breakfast or if you actually did make it to the gym. Well, as the saying goes, if you didn’t tweet about going to the gym, did you even really go? 

Stars like Kim Kardashian, Miley Cyrus, and Rihanna, show their audience that there is a meaning to “no boundaries” in the world of social media. Rihanna posted a photo that showed her nipples, which transpired into the #FreeTheNipple movement, but the point is still relevant to what is acceptable. As for Kardashian and Cyrus, their excessive and outlandish Instagrams are almost expected because of the public persona they maybe trying to convey. But the question is “what is too much?” If basing what photos are appropriate for viewing off of celebrities,the answer would be nothing is too much. The phrase “too much” is constantly being tossed around, but there are always new things topping what was once thought of as “too much.” 

Girls and young women know there are key ways to increase the “likes” they can get on a picture. The check-in has to be comical but also inform the public of how much fun you’re having with locations such as Nantucket or the Russian Tea Room, because without this how are you supposed to make the rest of your social media followers jealous? Most quotes are usually generic and completely irrelevant to the photo posted. The clever caption is what will sink or swim a photo.

This entire thought process of a “like” generation increases anxiety, competitiveness and jealously. It is noticeable that there is more of a chance someone, usually a female, will feel the impulse to outdo a photo or status seen on one of the innumerable social networks. This occurs because of jealously. If you are thinking to yourself that this is not true, think of this the next time you see a post pop-up in your newsfeed about somebody getting a private tour of the Palace of Versailles and get back to me. 

As the “Betches,” from betcheslovethis.com said, “it’s a disease betches, it’s called living for the like.” There needs to be a confirmation from an outside source that what they are doing is okay and accepted by what society’s standards are. Between focusing on what can be considered a successful Instagram, Facebook profile picture, or even simply a tweet, the cases of undiagnosed narcissism are rising. There might not be an answer to this colossal social problem at the moment, but there needs to be an awareness that social media is becoming overwhelming out of control. 

Photos: Kim Kardashian Instagram; Nora Beirne Instagram

What do politics, Spongebob, elephants, trenta sized coffees, my diary, cats, New York, and JFK all have in common? I love them.