Kris Stith ‘13: Rising Rapper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Many of you may have heard his catchy and clever song “Wonk City” or seen him around campus. He’s not your typical American University student, but instead one of AU’s many talented musicians. A senior in the College of Arts and Sciences studying studio art with a minor in marketing, Kris Stith talked to Her Campus American about his music and rapping. Raised here in Washington D.C., Kris began rapping at the age of 12 and has released an album while at American.  Kris spoke to us about his musical influences, new online album and future rapping career.

1) When did you first start writing lyrics and making music?

I started to rap when I was 12. Free-styling here and there but I didn’t seriously start to rap until I was in the 10th or 11th grade. 

2) Who are you musical inspirations? Where did your love for music come from?

This is a tough question! Lyrically: Jay-Z/Kanye West/Lupe Fiasco. Musically: 80’s music (in general)/Oldie but Goodies/Fusion. My love for music came from my family. Growing up my mother listened to a bit of everything ranging from the Bee-Gees to R. Kelly. It was an eclectic mix so I grew to appreciate any sort of musical style or motif. 

3) What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Finally putting out my album, “2647.” It’s my baby. This has been a long time coming. “2647” took a long time. A lot of chipping away and rebuilding until I had a product I could really be proud of. 

4) How do you share your music with the AU community?

Through my Facebook fan page as well as the different group pages I’m a part of. I wish there was a more vocal hip-hop community on campus.

5) What was your inspiration for “Wonk City?”

“Wonk City” was the culmination of my frustration with AU at the time. My financial aid wasn’t looking to good, and my federal work-study was gone. It was rough. So I just put down how I was feeling at the moment. I was happy to see how many people identified with me on that record. 

6) I know you have an album out online, tell us a bit about it and what listeners can expect.

It’s amazing!!! And EVERYBODY SHOULD CHECK IT OUT. My album, “2647”, is the story of a young man coming to terms with the pressures of manhood or manhood in my experience. But it’s not as heavy as it sounds. “2647” is in my opinion a mirage of the synths and sounds of the 80’s and the bounce of most rap songs. CHECK IT OUT!!!

7) Where do you see your musical career after graduating?

Hopefully things will begin to take off for me and I can start to really cultivate my skills as a songwriter and producer. Time is always an issue and if all goes well I spend my time doing what I love. 

8) If you could collaborate with any artist, who would they be and why?

I would want B. Gott and I to work with Pharrell, Dr. Dre, and No I.D. These guys are legends to me so if I could just ask them questions. It would be perfect. 

Check out Kris’ TwitterFacebook Page and Bandcamp Page to hear his music.