“I’m a Barbie Girl, NOT in a Barbie World!”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Being a pop culture and entertainment news freak I’m always fascinated when outrageous stories come out and trends start that one would never think are true. After all, hoaxes in the media are becoming more and more prevalent. The new pop culture trend that I have been noticing is that people are transforming themselves into “human Barbie dolls.”

The concept of a “human Barbie doll” just sounds crazy, but in today’s world, a world that strives for aesthetic perfection, people are transforming themselves, some with plastic surgery and some not, to have the unnatural bodily proportions of the children’s female doll “Barbie” and her male counterpart, the “Ken” doll.

One of the first people to come out with the looks of a human Barbie doll was twenty-eight year old Russian model Valeria Lukyanova. Human Barbie reports that her body proportions are as follows: waistline 18”, chest 39”, height 5’9”, hips 33”,  with a weight of approximately 110 lbs. These proportions cannot be natural, but Lukyanova swears that she is completely natural with the exception of her breasts, which she had augmented. However, sources such at Complex claim that she has undergone rib removal surgery to make her already tiny waist smaller in size. 

Valeria didn’t intentionally want to be known as a “human Barbie”, she told Daily Mail that she just appreciates beauty, anything feminine, and having a refined look. Along with her controversial appearance Valeria has also made some interesting statements regarding how she keeps such a thin frame.

Lukyanova claims to be a “Breatharian”, meaning that she survives on only on “cosmic micro-food.”  She tells IBT, “In recent weeks I have not been hungry at all; I’m hoping it’s the final stage before I can subsist on air and light alone.” To stay in shape Valeria states, “I do a serious workout in the gym three times a week and I run a lot. It is important not to eat for two hours after your work out-just drink liquids. I prefer liquid foods. But don’t drink water with your food if you want to have a slim body. The biggest secret is the amounts of food I have-they are very small.”

It doesn’t seem like Valeria Lukyanova is following a healthy diet and exercise regiment by depriving herself of food. Well at least she is exercising, unlike thirty-four year old human “Ken” doll Justin Jedlica who combines diet and exercise with plastic surgery as part of his quest for beauty and perfection. Jedlica is known for being the man who has gone under the knife for more than 150 cosmetic procedures making him the first man to be dubbed “human Ken doll.”

Jedlica tells US Weekly, “Three days after my 18th birthday I went in and did my first nose job, which is something I wanted from a really young age,” he said in the interview. “For me, that was something I needed to fix… I’ve had 149 cosmetic procedures — which is different than surgeries. I’ve probably had 19 actual full-on surgeries; even in those 19 surgeries I’ve had some combos where there have been several areas worked on.”

This so-called “human Ken doll” has gone through with procedures such as: bicep implants, triceps implants, pectoral implants, shoulder implants and more. 

So why would someone want to look so unnatural that people compare he or she to a Barbie doll?

Justin Jedlica, aka “human Ken”, uses plastic surgery as a means of expressing his creativity. He tells HuffPost “If I choose to express my creativity through my plastic surgery, it’s no different than someone in fashion who deals with trends,” he explains. “Standards of beauty change, ideals of beauty change. I don’t understand why people think you have to be committed to the human form and that you shouldn’t be able to retain control to change it.”

As for Valeria Lukyanova, Human Barbie’s website reports that she has always enjoyed being super feminine, and her unique look has led to her to a flourishing modeling career, as well as plans to break out into the music industry.

I guess time will only tell how many more procedures Justin Jedlica will receive and how many more women like Valeria Lukyanova are out there trying to be best human Barbie doll. They should just remember, “they are Barbie girls in a NON-BARBIE world!”

Image Credits: 1