This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Short distance relationships turned into long distance relationships during the pandemic due to social distancing protocols. Couples doing long distance relationships have had to get creative with activities to do to keep a committed and wholehearted relationship. Distance is never easy but there are some good ways to conserve your relationship:

1. Plan date nights (on the phone).

For long distance couples, it is not possible to have a weekly date night out to a restaurant or movie. Planning date nights over FaceTime or other video chat platforms is a great way to connect with your partner when you are not able to see them in person. Teleparty (formerly known as Netflix Party) is a great way to watch movies and TV shows on available streaming platforms. To use, you will need to install the extension onto your Google Chrome and create a party, which will sync the video to everyone and includes a live group chat! 

Another way to connect with your partner on online date night is to cook together. You both can choose a recipe you can cook together and have a cooking session over the phone, then enjoy dinner together. Another way to enjoy dinner together is to order food to each other’s places and then have dinner together over the phone and have a nice chat about your lives.

1. Prioritize your school and own life.

Long distance relationship or not, your academics and personal health should be your first priority. Many people may have heard the phrase, “You can’t love someone else until you love yourself.” You might not fully agree with that statement, but it is a wise decision to have some sort of understanding with yourself about your own personal goals.

1. Communication and comprehension are key.

Communication is key in any platonic or romantic relationship but especially in a long distance relationship. Comprehension should also be included in the conversation to promote clear communication and dismiss any misinterpretations. Being far from your partner is not an easy thing so communicating what is going on in your life and anything that is bothering you will prevent a fight or argument within your relationship.

1. Schedule time to see and talk to each other.

No matter the distance, talking with your partner everyday  is very important. Scheduling time on the phone is equally important as scheduling time to visit in person. You can find between your classes or in the morning while getting ready. Debriefing your day when you are winding down at night is also a great way to communicate and talk about your lives to catch your partner up to speed on all the little things in your life. 

1. Send letters or little gifts.

If your partner has a receiving gifts love language, this one is definitely for you. Even if not, it is always nice to know that someone is thinking of you and took time out of their day to send you a letter, flowers or a little care package to their school. 

Everyone and every relationship is different. Take these tips and make it your own to fit your’s and your partner’s needs. Create a support system between you both as people and romantic partners. 

Sarah Metcalfe

American '24

Sarah is a Journalism major at American University. They have fell in love with writing and reporting since they were in middle school. It is a dream come true to still have a strong passion for writing. Learning and researching everyday is important and they hope HCAU and their articles can help everyone!