Gold Soul Tees: A Startup with Purpose

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Founded in fall 2013, Gold Soul Tees was launched by a group of freshmen including Myles Mora, Brenna Fawson, Brianna Cirrincione and Nora McCleary. After a successful debut, Gold Soul is releasing its new designs in April. Her Campus American sat down with some of the minds behind the company for a conversation on service, purpose and style.

Her Campus AU: What was the inspiration behind Gold Soul Tees? 

Myles Mora: Our inspiration came from, initially, a T-shirt idea. Our friend Patrick Haggerty and I came up with this idea that spoke to what people care about. From there, we added on the charity concept and decided to make a business out of it. 

HCAU: You recently started an Indiegogo campaign that has raised $320 so far. Tell us details of the project.

MM: We launched through the Indiegogo platform because they help small businesses more so than Kickstarter. We have that room to share our story and put our video out there. It also offers a way to give back to our funders. Overall, we have three perks: a group of stickers with our logo, a complimentary T-shirt, or if you donate up to $200 you can get a spot on our website for endorsements. If you don’t want to donate, just share our story; we’re not in this for the money. We truly care about the charities we’re working for.

HCAU: Great! One downfall of products that support charities is that people don’t look into the cause more. How do we get buyers more involved?

MM: One way we plan to combat the “one and done” type of giving is the fact that we want to reflect our customers’ views. We will create quarterly designs that our customers care about, analyze feedback and build upon that. It’s a collaborative process.

Nora McCleary, on what makes Gold Soul singular: Our value proposition comes from the fact that the designs are hand-drawn. We spend a lot of time figuring out what we want. As artists, it’s not about money; it’s so cool that people wore stuff you drew. (The charity) is a bonus.

HCAU: Tell us about your upcoming spring collection.

MM: The new apparel will be available on April 1, which is when we plan to give back perks raised by the Indiegogo project. The collection will include best-sellers from our debut, as well as 3-4 new designs. The price range is around $17-18, and we are adding v-neck and tank options in order to appeal to a larger audience.

HCAU: Any previews of the collection?

Brianna Cirrincione: Two years ago, my little sister was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, so we are creating a T-shirt charity that donates to that disease. I’m excited for that one because it’s personal and hits home.

NM: We’re also designing a piece for student-run nonprofit called Unfused.

MM: Their main mission is to raise the high school graduation rate, a critical issue that goes with our brand. We’re aiming to support relatable issues and create something that you can wear proudly.

Above: Artwork from Gold Soul Tees’ first collection.

Stay Gold: support the campaign, like their Facebook page or tell a friend.

Photo Credits:

Lindsay Maizland