Funny, Fearless Females: An Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Inspiration is the process of getting motivated to create, discover, and conquer due to influence or an experience. Stories of immense struggle, remind us what’s important in life. People who change the world and challenge the status quo make us question our lifestyles and choices. Success and creativity spark our own ideas and drive us to be original. What I find to be most inspirational are the women of comedy. To me, courageous, beautiful and intelligent women who spend their lives making people laugh are the heroes for young women like myself. They inspire me to be exactly what I am, even when it’s shocking or “unladylike.”

Probably one of the most iconic funny ladies of all time is Lucille Ball. A pioneer of female comedy stole the hearts of millions with “I Love Lucy,” during the 1950s. Despite her place in the home, her antics and hilarious situational comedy proved that she was far from the typical housewife. Ball showed a male-dominated world that women are funny and are more than capable of comedic timing. Another female firecracker that was way ahead of her time was Joan Rivers. Getting her start on the Johnny Carson show, she was able to establish a raunchy, crass comedy style that was unheard of. Her unique, often self-mocking shtick was edgy, even gross and served as true inspiration for other funny ladies such as Sarah Silverman, Chelsea Handler, and Kathy Griffin.

While different in platform and comedic style, there is one thing that these women all have in common: They just don’t seem to give a sh** if someone doesn’t like what they say. From pissing off celebrities to religious institutions, speaking their minds for the sake of comedy and often a little something extra seems to be their only priority. Often that something extra is to get viewers to turn their attention to everything from activism to their everyday awkward selves.

What inspires me most is how they seem so fearless to tackle issues, be crude, or just ridiculous. As someone who has trouble conforming to the concept that women have to be nice or polite, I can’t help but identify with how blunt and honest these women are. At the same time they make me laugh. Isn’t that powerful? They remind me that I should be exactly who I am and they are achieving it through punch lines and satire.

Unfortunately, there a lot of people who say that women just aren’t as funny as men. Of course this is very typical of the entertainment industry, but could we just take a moment to recognize their skills? For example, 3rd time Golden Global hosts, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey have become comedy icons in the last ten years. Saturday Night Live alum, these women are incredible writers, performers, producers, directors and businesswomen, earning each of them their own television shows. They have taken the world by storm and continue to take comedy risk after risk. So yeah, I think they are pretty funny.

Comedy is something to be taken lightly but, for me, it hits me deep in my core. I don’t know where I would be without watching and listening to these remarkable women, of all shapes and colors, make complete fools of themselves while exuding complete brilliance. Thank you funny ladies, don’t ever stop what you’re doing, you inspire me to keep trying everyday.

Photo Credits: 12, 3

Sources: 1, 2, 3