Five Books About the Climate Crisis That Everyone Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It is no secret that the climate crisis is a dire emergency that affects every living thing on our planet. The oceans are rising and temperatures around the globe are at an all-time high. 

We are in the midst of a climate emergency and it is important to be informed. Here are five books about the climate crisis that everyone should read. 

1. The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis

“The Future We Choose” provides a unique perspective on the climate crisis. This book is a thought-provoking read for both climate optimists and pessimists. 

Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac provide two possible scenarios for the climate crisis and the fate of humanity. The first viewpoint this book provides is one of optimism. What if humans do the right thing and try to combat climate change right now? The other viewpoint is a grimmer and far more realistic viewpoint and explores the consequences of doing nothing. 

1. Under a White Sky: The Nature of the Future

Written by environmentalist and journalist Elizabeth Kolbert, “Under a White Sky” introduces the readers to the Anthropocene. In this compact, 234-page book, Kolbert thoughtfully explains the impact humans have on the living world. 

Kolbert writes in her book, “I was struck, and not for the first time, by how much easier it is to ruin an ecosystem than to run one.”  

“Under a White Sky” is a must-read for those who want to better understand the relationship between humans and the environment. 

1. This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate

Naomi Klien is no stranger to provoking a sense of urgency through writing. In “This Changes Everything,” Klien explains why capitalism is the climate’s greatest enemy. 

This book is an important read for those who want to find the root cause of the climate crisis.

1. Less is More: How Degrowth Will Save the World

“Less is More” ties the climate crisis to capitalism. The book emphasizes the impact the world’s economy has on the environment.

The title of this book speaks for itself. If humans stop taking from the environment, we can save the climate from catastrophic destruction. 

1.  The Lorax

Published in 1971, “The Lorax” tells the story of the impending destruction of our environment. “The Lorax” teaches children the consequences of taking from the earth. 

It may be surprising to have a children’s book on this list, but at its root “The Lorax” is a cautionary tale about climate change, making it a must-read for all ages. 

These are just five out of many informative resources you can read in order to better educate yourself about the climate crisis and how you can combat climate change. We all have a role in helping save the earth. There is no better time than today to start educating yourself about the climate crisis!

Hannah is a journalism student at American University who is currently pursuing a degree in journalism. She serves as the publishing director at HCAU. In her free time, Hannah finds enjoyment in reading, running, and attending Nationals games.