Life > Experiences

Fall in love with Fall: Best Autumn activities Around the DMV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It feels that within a second, the air in the Washington, D.C. area has turned crisper and lighter. The rainy days washed the leaves onto the ground and it turned into fall.

Fall is the most anticipated season for many, so here are some fun and affordable fall activities to do this season in the Washington area.

Decorate Halloween cookies
All you need is pre-made cookie dough, icing, sprinkles and halloween themed cookie cutters to have a successful and fun night with your roommates or friends!

DIY Halloween decorations
Some of the easiest and cheapest fall and Halloween decorations for college students can be done with what you have at home! For example, wrap objects in gauze to make them mummified, use red lipstick to add scary accents to mirrors or carve out the pumpkin stem to hold a candle.

Go see the fall foliage
Best places to see fall leaves in Washington D.C. are the National Mall, U.S. National Arboretum, Georgetown, D.C. Waterfront and the Washington National Cathedral.

While in Virgina the best spots are Grayson Highlands Statepark, Wilderness Road State Park and the George Washington and Thomas Jefferson National Forests.

In Maryland, the Brookside Gardens in Wheaton, Deep Creek Lake, Sugarloaf Mountain in Frederick County and Chimney Rock in Thurmont.

Nature walks and picnics
Use fall foliage scenes for a nice walk and picnic areas. For a great fall picnic, you can’t go wrong with a charcuterie board. Everyone can make their favorite warm sandwiches, or even veggie and fruit bowls.

Fall festivals and pumpkin patches
Some of the best places to get immersed in the fall vibe are Sharp’s at Waterford Farm, Butler’s Orchard Festival andHomestead Farm in Maryland. Wegmeyer Farms and Wayside Farm are also good spot in Virginia.

Make Jack-o-lanterns
To make a festive and spooky jack-o-lantern you can go crazy and make any design you want. Some helpful crafting tools and embellishments include: hot glue gun, candy corn, colorful pipe cleaners, sparkles and more!

Haunted Houses
Grab some friends and get ready for a horror filled night! The best haunted houses in the District area include Field of Screams, Laurel’s House of Horror and Markoff’s Haunted Forest.

Learn how to make fall flavored coffees
All you need is a coffee or espresso machine, a set of Fall flavored syrups, whipped cream and your favorite creamer. You will be set for study dates and late nights at the library but fall edition.

Visit Historic towns
This is the perfect activity for a day trip with your friends! The best historic towns to visit include St. Michaels, Maryland, Fredericksburg, Virginia, Cambridge, Maryland, Winchester, Virginia, and Leesburg, Virginia.

Go Holiday Shopping:
The holiday season is coming quicker than you think so start your shopping season early. The best places to grab something for someone you love just in time for the holidays are at M Street in Georgetown, Dupont circle, Pentagon City or Bethesda Row!

With the DMV autumn in its prime, these ten activities are the best way to get into the holiday spirit. These are some of the best activities to destress from midterms and spend time with friends and family, while appreciating the amazing fall weather.

Hannah Arthur

American '25

Hannah is a sophomore at American University and is majoring in Public Health, with a minor in International Relations. She plans to focus on global health and women's and children's bodily autonomy. She is the business director of HCAU and is passionate about equal rights and access to equal education.